USA TOUR Event | SAT DECEMBER 17TH 18:00 - 21:00 UTC

The USA Tour Archive. Event Concluded
IAHM-COL

USA TOUR Event | SAT DECEMBER 17TH 18:00 - 21:00 UTC

Postby IAHM-COL » Tue Nov 22, 2016 5:24 pm

Important Notification

Make sure to get installed the confirmed aircraft before hand, to avoid delays or yellow gliders :P

USA TOUR event | 52nd Leg: Dogfighters (Jets) | SAT DEC 17TH 18:00-21:00 UTC

FIFTYSECOND TRIP
Departing General Edward Lawrence Logan International Airport (KBOS): Boston, Masachussetts
Arriving Des Moines International Airport (KDSM): Des Moines, Iowa

*************************************************************************************************************************
Leg Distance: approx 1000 nm
Competing Aircraft: Any Jet Fighter
Expected Cruising Speed:at or around 0.95 Ma (some pilots may need slower speeds due to their aircraft of choice limits)
Expected Cruising Altitude:at or around FL360
Expected Duration (en route): Approx. 2 h en-route
**************************************************************************************************************************

Dogfighters (Jets)

As we approach the final few segments of the beloved tour, we recently flew the shortest leg by direct distance. Only 40 nm from Providence to Boston. We completed a slow and low VFR flight in WWI aircrafts.

On August 2016, the USA Tour completed the first Dogfighters' themed leg, travelling to Louisville, Kentucky with propeller warriors (mostly WWII). As a second of this series, and the last USA Tour event of the year 2016, on December 17th the comboy will meet again in Boston to travel to the state of Iowa at a much faster and higher leg. Looking at FL360 at 0.95 Ma or around we will pilot the second generation of fighters: The Jets.

Aircrafts

Any _non fictional/non prototype only_ Jet Figther aircraft --any nation/any generation is considered a participant aircraft. Bring your airmenship. Bring your skills. Show your maneuvers. While we have a general route map below, there will be individual liberty as to follow it tight or go wild and go krazy with spins and rolls as we cruise into the Mid-Country and fly over the appalachians, the Lakes Eerie and Michigan, and over the impressive city of Chicago before turning wild to Des Moines.

We will end our leg on the Des Moines Air National Guard Base which is housed in Des Moines Intl. Airport.

Per popular request we will bring this tour of the leg to the regular FG servers. Hopefully we can show a very nice populated event, and maybe meet new friends

GCMAP

Route:

The navigation log below will serve as our general plan. Pilots are encouraged/welcomed to show their abilities with the selected aircraft and deviate liberally from the route as the craft climbs, and dives, rolls and spin.

SKYVECTOR

Code: Select all

BLZZR3 BLZZR FAIDS DEKOW J68 HNK KODEY Q140 MEMMS Q82 VIEEW Q82 WAYLA Q82 JHW J554 SURLY J554 CRL J584 OBK J84 COTON J100 DBQ J144 DSM

PROCEDURES

Charts

SID

Multiplayer Server

Operations will take place in the regular Flightgear Multiplayer servers.

Communications

Communications will take place with mumble. Important messages can be relayed on FGChat.
Sincere thanks to Michat for offering the intercom room and channels. This will be located in the FG mumble server:

Code: Select all

server: mumble.allfex.org
Room: USA Tour

To install and prepare the mumble (any OS), see here:
http://mumble.sourceforge.net/Main_Page

Forum

Follow us in the Free Flight Free Speech Flightgear Forum at
http://www.thejabberwocky.net

IH-COL
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/IAHM-COL/gpg-pubkey/master/pubkey.asc

R.M.S.
If we gave everybody in the World free software today, but we failed to teach them about the four freedoms, five years from now, would they still have it?

IAHM-COL

Re: USA TOUR Event | SAT DECEMBER 17TH 18:00 - 21:00 UTC

Postby IAHM-COL » Tue Nov 22, 2016 5:26 pm

I will test and report my aircraft of choice.

I call to the participants to announce their choice below too, so we can prepare by installing aircrafts before hand and avoid yellow gliders or delays.
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/IAHM-COL/gpg-pubkey/master/pubkey.asc

R.M.S.
If we gave everybody in the World free software today, but we failed to teach them about the four freedoms, five years from now, would they still have it?

J Maverick 16

Postby J Maverick 16 » Tue Nov 22, 2016 5:41 pm

YEAH!
Breakin' the sound barrier every day!

Scenery designer, basic livery maker, aircraft developer (current project: F-16).
Using Thrustmaster FCS Flight Pack.
Follow me also on Instagram & Twitter @j_maverick16, Google+ and YouTube.

jwocky
Site Admin

Postby jwocky » Tue Nov 22, 2016 6:50 pm

Do we have a Saab Viggen? I couldn't find it or is it under another name than Viggen?
Free speech can never be achieved by dictatorial measures!

OPFOR77

Postby OPFOR77 » Tue Nov 22, 2016 6:55 pm

jwocky wrote:Do we have a Saab Viggen? I couldn't find it or is it under another name than Viggen?

https://github.com/FGMEMBERS/JA37

or the official repo https://github.com/NikolaiVChr/flightge ... -37-viggen
OPRF Fighter Jock and Dev

Catalanoic

Postby Catalanoic » Tue Nov 22, 2016 7:05 pm

Nice! I can attend the event. But I can't find a Jeppesen version of KDSM chart (with all pages).

OPFOR77

Postby OPFOR77 » Tue Nov 22, 2016 7:06 pm

A note on the Viggen: landing AoA is very high at 16.5* and speed is 120-130 knots, so i'd recommend using the landing auto-throttle and ILS (if available) to minimize the workload as much as possible. You will not see the runway while landing, which throws a lot of people off and drives them to up their speed and lower the AoA (which is incorrect, but you'll see the runway at like 150 kts). If this is uncomfortable for you, fly in at 150-160 kts so you can see the runway, and then 1nm or so before landing, slow down to the correct speed. It's a no flare landing, and don't be afraid to be a little mean.

Use the external fuel tank if you're planning on aerobatics - it's a gas guzzler, so watch the fuel gauge (and understand how the fuel gauge works, it has 2 needles). You'll probably need the afterburner to get to the cruise altitude, but FL360 - FL370 is where it cruises best. I've hit 2,200nm distance before, but it was very difficult to do so (KSUU->PHNL), so this is definitely doable.

edit: I've waxed poetic about the Viggen before on the OPRF forums, but it's really my go-to plane in FlightGear. I love the thing. I've spent well over 300 hours in the cockpit and countless more helping with the dev work. As corny as it is to say, it kinda feels like home when I fire up FG with the Viggen and take it out for a spin.

I highly recommend it to anyone who wants to fly an amazing plane with what is one of the best FDM's that FlightGear has to offer.
OPRF Fighter Jock and Dev

jwocky
Site Admin

Postby jwocky » Wed Nov 23, 2016 12:29 am

Nice, thanks a lot!

jwocky
Site Admin

Postby jwocky » Wed Nov 23, 2016 2:45 am

Okay, I did a bit research: The very old pure subsonic jet fighters aside (not talking Me-262 or Vampires&Venoms), for many of the late 60s and 70s jets, Mach 0.95 at FL 360 is just a hadful of knots too much to make it without afterburners. Which will not only cause more fuel consumption but probably also a bad migraine for SkyBoat. Sooo ... shall we go 0.90? That allows also some fun part because 0.90 is aboutish 550 knots G/S and that is slow enough to go down, fly through a valley or a tree slalom, get up again, make three tank stops and catch up every time again. You know, some light fighter playground.

jwocky
Site Admin

Postby jwocky » Wed Nov 23, 2016 2:49 am

@OPFOR ... the Viggen is nice and for my strange ways of flying oddly intuitive. I have to work on the fuel consumption though, I had at Mach 0.95 always this stuttering afterburner (still, I would have made 700 or so nm if FG wouldn't have opted for a segfault instead).
However, she is, as far as pure transfer flight goes and that is, what we do there, kind of very boring. I mean, she is perfect ... and does most of everything without involving the pilot unnecessarily. You know, the optimal fighter crew are a pilot and his dog. The pilot to feed the dog and the dog to bite the pilot if he touches any buttons ...

Return to “USA Tour”