The USA Tour Archive. Event Concluded
IAHM-COL

Re: USA TOUR Event | SAT DECEMBER 17TH 18:00 - 21:00 UTC

Postby IAHM-COL » Wed Nov 23, 2016 7:28 pm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/De_Havilland_DH_108

I just read this
a few comments:
1) funny craft
2) can't find that was actually used or intended to use as fighter, but more like a prototype

3)
All three prototypes were lost in fatal crashes.

It seems to me it was nt quite a viable piece of craft.
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/IAHM-COL/gpg-pubkey/master/pubkey.asc

R.M.S.
If we gave everybody in the World free software today, but we failed to teach them about the four freedoms, five years from now, would they still have it?

OPFOR77

Postby OPFOR77 » Wed Nov 23, 2016 7:40 pm

So, if we're allowing for the DH108 (which never carried weapons that I could find, and was still in prototype/experimental stage), can we also allow the YF-12 (which did carry AIM-47A's, but was also prototype/experimental)? I'd do it in a YF-12. See how many times I could get back and forth before you all finished. :)

Otherwise, I'll join in with the MiG-21bis
OPRF Fighter Jock and Dev

IAHM-COL

Postby IAHM-COL » Wed Nov 23, 2016 7:54 pm

YF-12 Interceptor and MiG-21bis are both cool choices.

R.M.S.
If we gave everybody in the World free software today, but we failed to teach them about the four freedoms, five years from now, would they still have it?

LesterBoffo

Postby LesterBoffo » Wed Nov 23, 2016 7:58 pm

IAHM-COL wrote:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/De_Havilland_DH_108

I just read this
a few comments:
1) funny craft
2) can't find that was actually used or intended to use as fighter, but more like a prototype

3)

It seems to me it was not quite a viable piece of craft.

They were built from a trio of Vampire fuselages pulled off DH's subcontractor factory, English Electric, and had the mounts removed and fuselage holes for the 20mm cannons blanked off. ;) I am somewhat joking about using it. But it's incredibly fast for a first gen jet and very tempting. . It did have some serious handling issues with the trans-sonic regime.

There's still few other jets from that era that might be worth flying. The Hawker Hunter and the NAA FJ3 Fury were both fighters with close to 0.78 mach cruise.

IAHM-COL

Postby IAHM-COL » Wed Nov 23, 2016 7:59 pm

and where are those?
FGMEMBERS does not have either the YF-12 nor the DH-108

R.M.S.

LesterBoffo

Postby LesterBoffo » Wed Nov 23, 2016 8:16 pm

IAHM-COL wrote:and where are those?
FGMEMBERS does not have either the YF-12 nor the DH-108

No it is not.

The DH-108 would have to be released in a CC Non Derivative Non Commercial EULA as it's from an RC sim with fairly restrictive use agreement. Not sure the cave of the cockpit is going to be ready by then either.

OPFOR77

Postby OPFOR77 » Wed Nov 23, 2016 8:20 pm

Just remembered, the YF-12 isn't being freely distributed due to it being "incomplete" and the author wanting to finish working on it before it's released. MiG-21bis it is!
OPRF Fighter Jock and Dev

jwocky
Site Admin

Postby jwocky » Thu Nov 24, 2016 1:28 am

Okay ...

1.) F-5E is it for me. Pushing a better version probably on the weekend.

2.) Regarding the fuel problem ... now we all fall to our knees and pry, Marvin is done with pushing scenery till then ;-). So I would may feel inclined to fly a second plane like a tanker with keyboard only, but available for refueling for those who need? Of course, we have to make sure beforehand, which planes have the MP-Kraus-Culp-FGUK-Prestes-JWocky-andtherestofthecivilizedworld AAR and which ones have Onox-THE-FGExpansion-pack compatible tank system. In case we may need to do some quick fixes before the leg, and I mean not the night before please.
Free speech can never be achieved by dictatorial measures!

LesterBoffo

Postby LesterBoffo » Thu Nov 24, 2016 5:00 am

I think I'm going to fly the Supermarine Swift R5 I've modded from the Alphasim model. It will be CC of course.

It's got some bad altitude hold issues right now,and will need some interior adjustments.

KB7

Postby KB7 » Thu Nov 24, 2016 5:09 am

LesterBoffo wrote:
IAHM-COL wrote:@lesbof
The generation (age and speed and capabilities) of the chosen Jet Fighter is OK.
If you get a very slow craft, it seems you can be good company for KB7 (read above)

But the aircraft (to be a participant) must be a fighter. Not a trainer.
We already completed a Jet "Trainer" leg before

https://forum.flightgear.org/viewtopic. ... it=trainer

In other words, I strongly advise you discount both the BAE Hawk and the Yak130 from consideration.

If the plane in question was also used in other countries with weapon hardpoints despite it's being trainer?

One of the best planes I have for this event was the DH108 Swallow experimental DeHavilland built 3 of. Good cruise speed and fuel use. But definitely not a production fighter, even though it was slated to fly as an interceptor to compliment the Vampire.

I hadn't heard of it before, either.... but reading the Wikipedia article...
:shock: :shock:
I just hope you don't have an structural failure at 10,000 in Flightgear. ;)

Since the three prototypes were all based out of fighter fuselages I'd say that nominates it as well.

Mine isn't quite as borderline, as they have seen at least ground combat in Iraq. I haven't read that the L-159 has actually engaged any aircraft in dogfights outside of training environments, just that it is capable and has weapons loadouts to do so.

Have we had a leg of experimental aircraft yet? (I'm assuming we must have....)
Primarily props / twins and small business/personal jets. IRL home airport KBMI, FG homes KLAS / KXTA.
Favorites: Cessna 421 "Golden Eagle," Twin Otter, BAe-125. A plane isn't my plane until I've modded the cockpit to the way I like it.

Return to “USA Tour”