helicopter plus turbine generator

bomber

Re: helicopter plus turbine generator

Postby bomber » Sat Dec 28, 2019 6:33 pm

https://forum.flightgear.org/viewtopic. ... 17f282cf43

Yeh sure it makes sense.....not !

Rudder peddles control the pitch of the tail rotor, which is only their because of the massive torque coming from the main rotor. Whether in hover or going forward that torque remains, in fact if going forward the rotor is now producing a forward vector of force as well as a vertical, whereas in hover there's just a vertical.... It's having to do more work and so the torque is greater. This in turn means the tail rotor needs to do more work to oppose the torque. If you're getting reduced rudder effectiveness then it should only be in one direction, that being a reduced ability to oppose the torque..... Going the other way it should spin like a top.

Simon.
"If anyone ever tells you anything about an aeroplane which is so bloody complicated you can't understand it, take it from me - it's all balls" - R J Mitchell

IAHM-COL

Postby IAHM-COL » Mon Dec 30, 2019 3:55 pm

bomber wrote:Going the other way it should spin like a top.

Simon.

Oh dreidle dreidle dreidle...

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/IAHM-COL/gpg-pubkey/master/pubkey.asc

R.M.S.
If we gave everybody in the World free software today, but we failed to teach them about the four freedoms, five years from now, would they still have it?

IAHM-COL

Postby IAHM-COL » Sun Mar 22, 2020 1:46 pm

If you don't mind me asking, bomber...
where does this stand?
Any way I can help?
Best,
IH-COL

R.M.S.
If we gave everybody in the World free software today, but we failed to teach them about the four freedoms, five years from now, would they still have it?

bomber

Postby bomber » Sun Mar 22, 2020 5:02 pm

I don't mind you asking... it's doing my head in !

The physics of the flight model I'm happy with, and I can fly it to an extent... the problem is it's like handling a slippery bar of soap, it has the tinniest of flight envelopes, everything has to be done in a relaxed manner. And if you step outside this narrow corridor of a flight envelope you're dead ! There's no middle ground, no coming back, you're just dead !

The solution to this is in the flight control system, that would take the weight of work off the pilot and also widen the flight envelope through micro adjustments... basically keeping the plane on the straight and narrow by sheer force of electronic will..

I haven't solved this as yet...if you've ever stalled a plane whilst in Auto-pilot... it's like that at the moment, no coming back.

Regards

Simon
"If anyone ever tells you anything about an aeroplane which is so bloody complicated you can't understand it, take it from me - it's all balls" - R J Mitchell

bomber

Postby bomber » Sun Mar 22, 2020 5:24 pm

To explain why stalling in autopilot has no autopilot recovery is this...

whilst the plane is flying in it's normal flight envelope the autopilot can correct and adjust, by fixing a bit of rudder, then a bit of elevator, then a bit of aileron.... when it's in a stall it's just go FIX EM ALL !..... this is not good. The panic response of auto-pilot is somewhat insensitive, whereas what's actually needed to steady the plane is a logically sequence of events, reduce power, stick forward, stop the roll and then gently pull up..

This of course could be initiated through a condition that monitors the rates of rotation p q & r such that one being high is ok, but any 2 being high results in the auto spin recovery sequence...

Anyway, just a lazy afternoon chat... regards

Simon

bomber

Postby bomber » Sun Mar 22, 2020 5:33 pm

Another thing I've discovered are the vertical stabilizers....

Normal flight they're not an issue, but when you come into land with the scorpion and you flare... if you flare to the point of having reverse travel the damn vertical stabilizers then attempt to spin the plane around into the direction of travel... it is just not the time for this to be happening.

there's a bloody good reason we don't see these planes in reality.

Simon

IAHM-COL

Postby IAHM-COL » Mon Mar 23, 2020 5:43 am

sounds like you are having a ride of the scorpio!

R.M.S.

bomber

Postby bomber » Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:15 pm

I'm having a good time with, it's interesting and challenging and I've learned a lot, so much so after this I'm thinking of going back to my model of the America's cup yacht.

I started the beginning of November... I took a lot of private abuse on discord at the same time from a person that thinks flight models take only a short time to make and that I how was it put.... "You talk only and do nothing at all. "

I'm 4 months in, I put 2 hours on average a day into this, which takes a lot of patience, iteration and sometimes you have to scrap what you've done and restart afresh. And it's because people in Flightgear think that flight modeling can be done quickly, that flightgear has the poor models that it does. There's not one flight model I'd give more than a 3 star too, people simply don't put the effort in... There isn't one person in Flightgear that I think "he's a good flight modeler"

Maybe in another few months this flight model will be correct, but it'll more than likely never see the light of day in flightgear, I think that's sad.

Simon

IAHM-COL

Postby IAHM-COL » Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:05 pm

bomber wrote:
Maybe in another few months this flight model will be correct, but it'll more than likely never see the light of day in flightgear, I think that's sad.

Simon

I presume this means you will still let us see the FDM and fly it out?
Because, there is no 'light of day' in FG Universe [That's a given] , anyways....

I can offer it a home in FGMEMBERS-NONGPL too, if you ever reconsider.

R.M.S.

bomber

Postby bomber » Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:18 pm

oh I'll make it available, but it'll get little traction or use.

Also remember this is just a flight model...

Return to “JSBsim”