Advanced, yet simple, rotary engined WWI trainer.

LesterBoffo

Advanced, yet simple, rotary engined WWI trainer.

Postby LesterBoffo » Sun Nov 20, 2016 6:28 pm

Going over my old files I found that there was a stretched Nieuport 11 that I had planned for last year as an advanced trainer for WWI rotary aircraft engined planes. It's actually closer to the predecessor of the Nieuport-11, the Nieuport 10, which was used by all nations on the Allied side as an advanced aerobatics trainer.

Building the YAsim FDM in AC3D and keeping the animations simple while including the new "coupe"ignition switch feature and having just a few basic instruments, tachometer, Altimeter, and Compass, I'm going to release this early.

The reasoning behind this is that in USA tour, some of you were having trouble with the touchy, easy to flip and ground loop Fokker DR.I

In my testing this plane, has shown that it is easier to handle on the ground and in transition from tail-down to tail-up while taking off and vis-versa. It also has limited engine power and will not climb well beyond an AOA of about 7 degrees. Best climb rate is about 70 knots at about 500 fpm.

Starting it is easy: When in cockpit, click with your mouse the upper bezel of each brass colored mag switch, then hold down the start "s" button until it coughs and settles into an idle. You can use the full throttle control, or optionally, keep the 'idle' speed to half throttle and use the coupe switch, either your joystick "1" trigger or button, or the "b" key on your keyboard, to reduce power as you gain confidence.

My gift to the Screaming Orcas. It's under a liberal Creative Commons use clause, you can modify and doctor it to your hearts content, just keep to the, 'no commercial use' limitation.

Link to Nieuport 10..http://www.mediafire.com/file/13ms04be33bwi55/Nieuport_10.zip

IAHM-COL

Re: Advanced, yet simple, rotary engined WWI trainer.

Postby IAHM-COL » Sun Nov 20, 2016 6:47 pm

Sweet deal!!!
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/IAHM-COL/gpg-pubkey/master/pubkey.asc

R.M.S.
If we gave everybody in the World free software today, but we failed to teach them about the four freedoms, five years from now, would they still have it?

IAHM-COL

Postby IAHM-COL » Sun Nov 20, 2016 6:47 pm

Is the license clarified in the zip?

Edit.
Scratch that. I read you above.

R.M.S.
If we gave everybody in the World free software today, but we failed to teach them about the four freedoms, five years from now, would they still have it?

LesterBoffo

Postby LesterBoffo » Sun Nov 20, 2016 7:09 pm

Note that I intentionally set it up a little nose heavy to assist with it getting it's tail up on take-off. It will need a little up trim for level flight at a cruise of about 76 knots. I usually reduce the throttle to 3/4ths for cruise, and rein in the mixture a little to optimize the engine RPM. If you suddenly need to full throttle, I would richen the mixture some before advancing the throttle. This is how the LeRhone rotaries were operated in real life.

Touchdown speed about 36 knots with the nose up about 4 degrees, while slightly flairing. Land on the main gear, and after it settles after the first bounces ( gentle descent required below 25 feet AGL) and let the speed bleed off while either at idle or blipping the coupe switch.

IAHM-COL

Postby IAHM-COL » Wed Nov 23, 2016 5:29 pm

R.M.S.

123apple

Postby 123apple » Thu Nov 24, 2016 9:08 am

Code: Select all

XML sound: couldn't find file: '/Nieuport_10/Sounds/start.wav'
osgDB ac3d reader: could not find texture "C:/Program Files/FlightGear 2016.1.1/
data/Aircraft/Nieuport-16/Models/n16_fuse.png"

osgDB ac3d reader: could not find texture "n16_fuse.png"

osgDB ac3d reader: could not find texture "C:/Program Files/FlightGear 2016.1.1/
data/Aircraft/Nieuport-16/Models/n16_fuse.png"

osgDB ac3d reader: could not find texture "n16_fuse.png"

123apple

Postby 123apple » Thu Nov 24, 2016 9:10 am

Handles easily. I like the blipper.
Good engine control with 'b' key. Landed in river.

IAHM-COL

Postby IAHM-COL » Thu Nov 24, 2016 4:36 pm

Thanks for the errors report, lego
I can fix those.

R.M.S.

LesterBoffo

Postby LesterBoffo » Fri Nov 25, 2016 12:56 am

IAHM-COL wrote:Thanks for the errors report, lego
I can fix those.

Can you get me the exact name of the Nieuport-10's parts that are dependent on the Nieuport 16's texture?

Return to “Screaming Orcas: Test Pilots Group”