MH370

This is a project about missing planes. An d not only MH370. Think Amelia Earhard, Flying Tiger's Super Connie and similar. Over a century, dozens of planes went missing without a trace or went down under pretty mysterious circumstances. Now, since we fly a simulator, I have this idea, we can (and I need the help of better pilots than I am) maybe reconstruct those last flights as good as we can. Not that I really expect, we solve those mysteries, I am just curious. So hwo is in?
HJ1an

Re: MH370

Postby HJ1an » Wed Nov 09, 2016 5:05 am

jwocky wrote:Not hard to spot. If a surface is in when it is ripped off, the anchor points (not sure about the right technical term in English) will be ripped open forward and the joint axis will be bent against the direction of force in the tracks, if the surface is out (like a flap at higher settings), the joint axis will be only slightly bent but the and limiter of the track will be bent extremely upward and will leave significant groves on the axis. I hope, I get the description good enough to make the difference transparent?

Somewhat understood your description .. but unless the thingamjig connecting the flaps are still present on the flaps itself (from the pics, they don't seem to be - but what do i know), what I am thinking is that there is more way to rip out the flaperon pieces than just impact with water... a wing hittin the water first, for instance, bending said wing and breaking the flaps loose without the flaps/flaperon/pieces touching water until much later, or a mid-air breakup, or a bellyflop into the water, etc.

Anyway, not to say I don't trust their judgement, just quite interested in how they went through tthat process (computer modelling, scale modelling etc.) to come to this conclusion.

KL-666

Postby KL-666 » Wed Nov 09, 2016 4:18 pm

Hi HJ1an,

I did link the ATSB report in which they try to explain how they came to the conclusions. Did you read that?

Kind regards, Vincent

HJ1an

Postby HJ1an » Wed Dec 21, 2016 3:52 am

KL-666 wrote:Hi HJ1an,
Did you read that?

Just skimmed through. To answer you, no - not really. I have to do enough in-depth reading at work.

Experts leading the hunt for Malaysia Airlines flight MH370 have said the plane is unlikely to be found in the current search area, and recommended looking further north.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-38375357

Well, in hindsight.. obviously? But it would be interesting to know what kinds of errors that led to the search in the wrong place, or something was skewing the data signal from the satellites..

Return to “Historical, missing planes”