What Happened to the Slack Dev Channel

This is a thread to announce, who comes, goes or is just absent for some days/weeks due to out of FG reasons for example
airzona

What Happened to the Slack Dev Channel

Postby airzona » Tue Jul 30, 2019 6:20 pm

Did it go adios? Was I kicked out? I'm sad to see it go even though I wasn't able to participate as much as I had hoped.

https://github.com/FGMEMBERS also looks inactive. What am I missing?

Sincerely,
Saddened :(

SkyBoat

Re: What Happened to the Slack Dev Channel

Postby SkyBoat » Sat Aug 03, 2019 3:21 pm

We had to shut down the Slack channel. Their fees kept going up and it was too expensive to continue. The channel, itself has been deleted, but do not despair. All of it's functions have been transferred to Discord If you are already on Discord, you can add IDG as a channel. Contact Josh (Octal450) for the URL.

Signing up for Discord is pretty easy. It's format looks different than Slack, but the functionality is essentially the same, and has a number of options Slack does not. Here's the Discord URL: https://discordapp.com/.

I had no problems getting my discord set up for IDG.

It's a bit inconvenient, but keeps the service free for those working with the IDG project.

SkyBoat

airzona

Postby airzona » Sat Aug 03, 2019 3:23 pm

Thank you! :)

123apple

Postby 123apple » Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:30 am

Regarding FGMEMBERS - it has been dead for a long time now.

airzona

Postby airzona » Sat Aug 10, 2019 2:50 pm

Are repositories being updated elsewhere? If so, where? Thanks :)

IAHM-COL

Postby IAHM-COL » Sat Aug 10, 2019 6:39 pm

123apple wrote:Regarding FGMEMBERS - it has been dead for a long time now.

FGMEMBERS is not dead.
Last git pull request had been merged just 5 days ago. :lol:
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/IAHM-COL/gpg-pubkey/master/pubkey.asc

R.M.S.
If we gave everybody in the World free software today, but we failed to teach them about the four freedoms, five years from now, would they still have it?

Octal450

Postby Octal450 » Sat Aug 10, 2019 8:38 pm

Yeah as Skyboat wrote, the prices just became too much for me and we decided Discord is better anyways - sorry for this. I would never kick out someone like this without explanation, don't worry!

Discord is far superior and an awesome place! We have the server set to public now so anyone interested in IDG can join.

Keep in mind that my work does not go into FGMEMBERS directly - my work goes in my repo.

Checkout the link in my profile sig: https://forum.flightgear.org/memberlist ... le&u=18576 to join

FGMEMBERS is pretty much dead. I no longer see any reason to use it. The activity has gone way way way down and nothing is updated from the improvements made in FGAddon.

Kind Regards,
Josh

D-ECHO

Postby D-ECHO » Sun Aug 11, 2019 5:11 am

IAHM-COL wrote:
123apple wrote:Regarding FGMEMBERS - it has been dead for a long time now.

FGMEMBERS is not dead.
Last git pull request had been merged just 5 days ago. :lol:

Apart from a few repositories, FGMEMBERS nowadays seems to be only containing outdating stuff, leading only to people confused because the aircraft they get are not the current ones and developers confused as to which version is used. Seriously, all the good aircraft (not in FGAddon) like IDG-* are outdated in FGMEMBERS serving just no purpose. I think it's best if you remove these repositories, this would help a lot.
Also, I'd kindly request you to remove all aircraft repositories containing aircraft developed by me (e.g. Q400, Q200 etc.) as the best and newest versions are available either on my github or mostly also on FGAddon. For some reason I can't remove these repos and I know that I can't force you to delete them, but it would definitely serve the whole FlightGear community best.

airzona

Postby airzona » Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:57 pm

So then is this where the latest can be found?
https://sourceforge.net/p/flightgear/fg ... /Aircraft/

bomber

Postby bomber » Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:39 pm

Why not simply keep the repository up to date ?

Or ensure that there are links to the most up to date repository ?

Having a single place, doesn't necessarily mean the files have to be located here, only that they can be located from a single place ..

Or we could just roam around the internet looking for up-to-date planes here there and everywhere.... Quite frankly I find this a ridiculous idea and detrimental to the community.
"If anyone ever tells you anything about an aeroplane which is so bloody complicated you can't understand it, take it from me - it's all balls" - R J Mitchell

Return to “Coming/Going/Absent for a short time”