The End of Free Speech? Turn to the Community.

Free speech and open source development
SkyBoat

Re: The End of Free Speech? Turn to the Community.

Postby SkyBoat » Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:01 pm

@ bomber --

First of all, I'll just be honest with you and tell you that I disagree with Israel's letting you have two personas on the forum. If I had made the call you would have one and stand firmly on one side of the fence or the other. As things are I can never be sure which hat you are really wearing regardless of what it says at the top of the post. You have yet to show me a consistency in your moderator role that inspires confidence that you are putting the best interest of Free Flight above your personal agenda. And when you are in your personal role, I have a hard time seeing that at all.

As to your question, the answer is not complicated. The basis of freedom of speech is the mastery of the language at its highest level. The best example I can give is the framers of the U.S. Constitution, who formulated the modern concept of freedom of speech had incredible vocabularies. If you read The Federalist, which was in a sense a forum in their historical context that was being written in real time as the Constitution was being drafted. You will see them arguing, cajoling, attacking, exhorting, defending, analyzing, exploring, elucidating hundreds of topics and issues but with a command of the language that was always civil.

I do expect any of us to write in that style. But it shines as an example how to write in a civil manner, expressing your free speech with a higher degree of mastery of English than the few hundred words profanity limits you to.
SkyBoat

"Dream no small dream; it lacks magic. Dream large. Then make the dream real."
Donald Douglas

Lydiot

Postby Lydiot » Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:38 pm

SkyBoat wrote:All right, here is my point. Please start using a civil tone of expression in your posts even when you are arguing over an issue or an idea. Notice JWocky has refrained from commenting on your most recent posts.

You could have easily responded to my previous posts without the heated, profanity-laced diatribes you chose to write.

I am an administrator of this forum and an independent voice. It was my assessment reading through this entire thread that was the basis of my comments, regardless of arrangements you made with others.

If you want me to listen to you, it is you have to meet my terms. You are on my turf. So, please start using a civil tone of expression when you post on this forum.

Which posts in this thread made me guilty of what you initially came here and accused me of? Quote them!
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

SkyBoat

Postby SkyBoat » Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:50 pm

@ Lydiot -- It's a waste of my time to post every sentence in which you used the profane F-bomb simply because you weren't making use of your considerable vocabulary to express the point in a civil manner. There is nothing wrong with your intellect. I think you are just too lazy to use the capacity you really have to express yourself at a much higher level.
SkyBoat

"Dream no small dream; it lacks magic. Dream large. Then make the dream real."
Donald Douglas

bomber

Postby bomber » Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:07 pm

The fuck word has been a part of the English language for centuries.....its been used by kings, scholars, poets and writers...

You exceed your authority in saying what words can and cannot be used to suite your and your allies agenda.

You are full of BULLSHIT.
(A word you allow to be used against me)

Here's the thing..... this forum was trusted as a place where speaking up was allowed... WE didn't change, we stayed the same and when we said something that wasn't liked you threaten to shut us down...

The damage in TRUST was done by you, not us.

When you turned on your own people...

Simon.
"If anyone ever tells you anything about an aeroplane which is so bloody complicated you can't understand it, take it from me - it's all balls" - R J Mitchell

bomber

Postby bomber » Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:17 pm

"If anyone ever tells you anything about an aeroplane which is so bloody complicated you can't understand it, take it from me - it's all balls" - R J Mitchell

Lydiot

Postby Lydiot » Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:19 pm

SkyBoat wrote:@ Lydiot -- It's a waste of my time to post every sentence in which you used the profane F-bomb simply because you weren't making use of your considerable vocabulary to express the point in a civil manner. There is nothing wrong with your intellect. I think you are just too lazy to use the capacity you really have to express yourself at a much higher level.

So you're too dishonest to just acknowledge that I had done absolutely nothing wrong in this thread when you showed up.

Everyone can see what you're doing now.

Lydiot

Postby Lydiot » Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:26 pm

skyboat,

Here's my first post in this thread:

Lydiot wrote:
Falcon wrote: I can get facts by emailing those involved for the long story turned short. Like I did by emailing Peter, Israel, David, and Vincent, about this specific thread and what happened, and I got all the information I needed, to come in fully informed.

The problem with that approach is that you're getting one view of one set of supposed facts or events. You don't know if what anyone you're messaging with is true unless you verify it yourself. You could get further by asking direct questions via messaging, but if information is excluded you might not even know that some questions are relevant. This is completely regardless of who you're talking to. So if you sent a message to me I'd certainly tell my story, but it may be that one of the guys you mentioned would have a pretty different opinion about it and you'd never know unless you asked because our information might not overlap (and be contradictory).

In a thread, or in a discussion rather, there's always the opportunity to ask questions and offer different information and arguments, for all to see and question. So I would argue that that's a better approach.

Of course, showing up after a thread has 'blown up' into a massive amount of posts will make it pretty hard to encourage reading it all, so I understand why some wouldn't want to (I wouldn't in a lot of cases).

Do you see the "f-word" there? No?

You just exposed yourself as being a grade-A liar.

I'll make it easy for everyone to see just why that is the case:

SkyBoat wrote: It was my assessment reading through this entire thread that was the basis of my comments, regardless of arrangements you made with others.

So you read through THIS ENTIRE THREAD - saw ONE post of mine, in which I made ZERO use of profane language - ZERO, and then you start by insulting me, and then conclude with: "It's a waste of my time to post every sentence in which you used the profane F-bomb"

Yes, it is a waste of time to try that because I didn't use that word even once in my first post.

bomber

Postby bomber » Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:39 pm

Lydiot wrote:
So you're too dishonest to just acknowledge that I had done absolutely nothing wrong in this thread when you showed up.

Everyone can see what you're doing now.

Of course he's too dishonest..... he didn't even answer my question...

Which was quite a simple question.... had nothing to do with the f-bomb... he's now attempting to turn the whole thing into "its about the language used"... when the whole debacle with Vincent and Jwocky calling us names and threatening a ban was way way before any swear words were used in response to those used at us.

YOU WANT PEACE ?

I've explained on the moderator forum what's required.

Jwocky and Vincent are to stop baiting Lydiot and others and I'll not have to oppose their actions either as an ordinary poster or moderator.....

Continue with your present course and you've been warned.

N3266G

Postby N3266G » Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:12 am

bomber wrote:Continue with your present course and you've been warned.

Whats a pansy like you going to do to a site moderator? Ban him?

EDIT: In hiensight that last part that I wrote was more immature than intended.
Last edited by N3266G on Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image Image

SHM

Postby SHM » Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:15 am

N3266G wrote:
bomber wrote:Continue with your present course and you've been warned.

Whats a pansy like you going to do to a site moderator? Ban him? Just do us all a favor and GO AWAY! JUST GO AWAY! We do not want or need you here. Ever since you joined you have been nothing but trouble for everyone here. DO US ALL A FAVOR AND LEAVE!

NO. He is staying here. :|

Return to “Free Speech”