Flying Free, Thinking Free, Speaking Free

Free speech and open source development
SkyBoat

Postby SkyBoat » Sat Sep 12, 2015 7:41 pm

There is a very simple reason we decided to create a new forum. We believe that FlightGear should be an Open Source project that grows and develops as cutting edge flight simulator. The recent experience of conflict between we who belong to FGMEMBERS with the Flight Gear Core Developers has reached the point we believe further interaction with the main FlightGear Forum makes the free exchange of ideas impossible.
I cite a passage from the American political classic “The Federalist” written by Alexander Hamilton (1787) on the nature of obstinate opposition:

Ambition, avarice, personal animosity, party opposition, and many other motives not more laudable than these, are apt to operate as well upon those who support, as upon those who oppose, the right side of a question. Were there not even these inducements to moderation, nothing could be more ill-judged than that intolerant spirit, which has at all time characterized political parties. For, in politics as in religion, it is equally absurd to aim at making proselyte by fire and sword. Heresies in either can rarely be cured by persecution. (The Federalist, p. 2-3).

From my perspective, we have been branded the heretics, that our ideals of freedom of speech, of the open expression of ideas, especially if they are in opposition to those of the Core Developers have been repressed in a way across the entire FlightGear Forum, it is now impossible to disagree with them without fear of retribution, censorship, or banishment.

The Developers have published a manifesto declaring the new rules in which they place the Core (i.e., themselves) above criticism. This is indicative of an organization that is devolving into an authoritarian structure anathema to both the spirit and the letter of Open Source.

The Developers’ actions also defy the very best models for Open Source organizations as defined in “The Cathedral and Bazaar.” In fact, as a result of the changes as defined in the Manifesto, FlightGear can no longer be defined as either a Cathedral or a Bazaar, but rather, a Medieval castle with gate keepers, a palace for the Developers that the commoner FlightGear players are banned from entering, a court with a Judge but without a jury and no due process, and finally an enforcer, who has the power to wipe out whole sections of the historical record at whim, not unlike the ancient Egyptian pharaohs who would deface and destroy the images and statues of their predecessors in a vain attempt to erase them from history.

So, we break from the FlightGear oppressive and anti-freedom of expression forum. I fully expect that according to form we will be further persecuted, perhaps even having our accounts erased as retribution. It also will be very interesting to see if they have the courage to register on this forum and write some form of rebuttal, which they are welcome to do.

What they will find, however, is a much different conversation.

Fly free. Think free. Speak free!
SkyBoat

"Dream no small dream; it lacks magic. Dream large. Then make the dream real."
Donald Douglas

N3266G

Re: Flying Free, Thinking Free, Speaking Free

Postby N3266G » Sun Sep 13, 2015 2:37 am

Lets see what they will do. I for one am the deveoping the Cessna Citation Longitude on the other forum, so i will have to stay nutral in appearance, but i do have a proposition. Why dont we ourselvs make accounts with their names on this forum and see what they have to say about that. That is, after we have suceeded from the oppressive forum.
Image Image

IAHM-COL

Postby IAHM-COL » Sun Sep 13, 2015 2:39 am

I don't think using other persons nicknames is a way to go.
It's a matter of respecting identity.

Besides, anyone of them, Thorsten included, is invited to join here as well. :)
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/IAHM-COL/gpg-pubkey/master/pubkey.asc

R.M.S.
If we gave everybody in the World free software today, but we failed to teach them about the four freedoms, five years from now, would they still have it?

jwocky
Site Admin

Postby jwocky » Sun Sep 13, 2015 2:49 am

Still a person with the name "Thorsten's nice twin" and a polite attitude would have a certain appeal ...
Free speech can never be achieved by dictatorial measures!

IAHM-COL

Postby IAHM-COL » Sun Sep 13, 2015 5:16 pm

LMAO
Certainly a brother nice to exist or a very wanted attitude change.

IH-COL
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/IAHM-COL/gpg-pubkey/master/pubkey.asc

R.M.S.
If we gave everybody in the World free software today, but we failed to teach them about the four freedoms, five years from now, would they still have it?

legoboyvdlp

Postby legoboyvdlp » Fri Dec 11, 2015 2:10 pm

Lao Tzu, VIth century BC wrote:"I have three precious things which I hold fast and prize. The first is gentleness; the second is frugality; the third is humility, which keeps me from putting myself before others. Be gentle and you can be bold; be frugal and you can be liberal; avoid putting yourself before others and you can become a leader among men."

(Thanks, I-NEMO)

Not sure if it fits here, but it would sure have helped if --- someone --- who's initials are T and R, who is from Finland, along with certain other people who we shall not mention, would have abided by this principle.

And certainly goes for that Sukhoi, MiG, and Vostok person.
~~Legoboyvdlp~~
Maiquetia / Venezuela Custom Scenery
Hallo! Ich bin Jonathan.
Hey!
Avatar created by InSapphoWeTrust CC BY-SA 2.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.p ... d=27409879

MIG29pilot
Location: New Hampshire, waiting for the blizzard...This is goodbye for when it comes

Postby MIG29pilot » Fri Dec 11, 2015 2:36 pm

One problem, I think, which arises from an international collaboration, and is not noted by most, is the difference in temperament between various nationalities. My father is an anecdote about a Californian trying to talk to a New Yorker and thinking that they were hostile and rude--the New Yorker was just being normal. Or the other time when he had to translate between Texan and Californian because the first person on the phone couldn't stand the Texans. The fact is that certain nationalities are very curt, blunt, and frank in their expression. Others speak on tiptoe, and still others are flamboyant and welcoming, Therefore when you mix them all up there is bound to be conflict if the different temperaments are not understood.
Thanks, Adam
Professions Splash screen making (commission me!)
Photos http://1drv.ms/1kpo0Lf Dare to mention X-Plane after seeing these
Blog http://fgadam.blogspot.com/
Google+https://plus.google.com/105269990760200962418/posts

Return to “Free Speech”