Why am I not banned yet??

The Club of all those banned or deleted form the "official" FlightGear forum for speaking out political inconvenient truths or just things, the rulers over there didn't want to hear.
jwocky
Site Admin

Re: Why am I not banned yet??

Postby jwocky » Wed Sep 07, 2016 1:44 pm

Okay, Bomber, a little off-topic question: If you could send your plane to FGMEMBERs just by a press of the button, would solve that your problem?

*edited for embarrassing typos, sorry*
Free speech can never be achieved by dictatorial measures!

IAHM-COL

Postby IAHM-COL » Wed Sep 07, 2016 1:44 pm

a few clarifications:

1. All content in FGMEMBERS is transparent. It's there open to be seen. No development is private or unaccesible to anyone in the public.
2. I have never spoken against someone willing to do "the donkey work" to do it. That means if someone is willing to come and cherry-pick what they want from FGMEMBERS and what they don't want there is a big

GPL LICENSE

Note on the title that says: "You are entitled to". Don't tell me I'm not willing to cooperate. I already did

3. I am willing to do repository Syncing. As JWocky says above. They said no before, and Thorsten is again filling a new thread of their why-nots.
Honestly I dont care for his reasons. Las Curtis message sounded hurt that I don't merge the content back. So Curtis, Give me the keys and I'll sync. (which keys? IAHM-COL needs push access to all of the following: fgdata git repository, FGADDon SVN repository, and terrasync SVN repository)

If you want some things, ,but not others, that's where you have to do the work yourself. I wont start second-guessing in 800+ planes what you want and what you do not.

4. Everyone DOES have commit rights in GIT. It has nothing to do with FGMEMBERS. It is the technical fact that makes git powerful and SVN useless. Every git repository (a clone, a fork) is a full fledge repository. You have commit rights. It's almost like a human right. You may not have push rights to a given repository, but you can commit IN YOURS.

Once you have commit rights, you can make your own repo and commit to it, then others can pull or push or merge request etc.

SVN is different. SVN is 1 repository, ONLY.
A few people can commit. The others can only take content from it. Not great for development. But great to prevent it.

In FGMEMBERS getting push access is not difficult at all. You can just ask, it will be given (by me). It doesnt mean I can't revoke your push access. But as today, I have not needed to revoke anyone's access, as everyone else takes the responsibility with the seriousness it requires

We have grown to be a bigger group of developers than the core in shorter time. Most of us are newer people of the project who could have never ever dreamt of having got access to FGADDon. Instead, now, with FGMEMBERS, FGADDOn HAS become more open --not an option of being so selective anymore... right?

5. If Curtis gave me permission to do content sync, it will take me somewhere between 48 h and 1 week (depending on how much busy I'm in real life) to get all FG official content to have the same content as all FGMEMBERS content. This includes FGMEMBERS and FGMEMBERS-TERRAGIT. From there on, I can definitely script periodic syncing. The consequence? It does not matter if an improvement occurs in terrasync, FGADDON or FGMEMBERS infrastructure. Syncin g will provide that the content remains equal. It would stop being a matter of where you are commiting. Just commit where you feel more comfortable doing it.

6. If he does not give me push permissions, or they want to select what they want to use, I reiterate: The content is GPL. Nothing holds you. I cant/
I cant hold you or bar you from taking it. So go ahead. The same way you can't bar me from rebasing FGADDon and terrasync with great frequency.
(and yes. I do full rebase)

7. That only I rebase content and syncing does not occur only works against the core developers. sorry about that. It's not divergence in the sense your planes and my planes become different. FGMEMBERS get all your improvements. you are just not getting ours. So keep this in the back of your mind, Curtis, and see that syncing is on your best interest.

8. Nothing prevents terraGIT content to be copied to terrasync, except Torsten Dreyer does not want to. so no. It is not a technical problem. It is a power-play problem. Again, if they give me push access to terrasync SVN, and a GO AHEAD and sync, it will take very few time for both contents to be synced. The issues had been talked before but mainly there is fear that they dont like the content anyways, that the terrain is patched, that the texture are big, that buildings are not separated, and that the database needs to be post-fixed. (blah blah blah to me). You either want the content and I sync it, or you want some of it, you come and take whatever it is you want yourself, or you dont want the content. Period

As J says, the ball is in their court. Their choice? Lie about it.
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/IAHM-COL/gpg-pubkey/master/pubkey.asc

R.M.S.
If we gave everybody in the World free software today, but we failed to teach them about the four freedoms, five years from now, would they still have it?

IAHM-COL

Postby IAHM-COL » Wed Sep 07, 2016 1:47 pm

bomber wrote:This is the problem I'm facing....

I've no desire to learn SVN or GIT, don't anyone EVER try and tell me it's simple or what not.... I'm just not interested.

My hobby is about making flight models... that means modifications to a couple of files and these will only ever be handed over once I've completed the updates.... not as an interim release.... ok very rarely as an interim release but even then only privately to interested parties/team members.

If you take the ASK-13 as an example... I updated the files and posted them up for download... I notified FGMEMBERS and Flightgear that the new flight models could be downloaded...

Someone in FGMEMBERS added those files to the ask-13 repository, no one did from FGaddon.

I don't have the time or inclination to learn the commands of SVN or Git, to be used once every 6 months or so... I make my updates available to all parties, if FGaddon wishes to distribute it, all fine and good... but me not learning SVN or Git does not make me hostile.... it just means I've far better things to do with my time.

If there's no dedicated admin team for your repro, then that's your problem and not mine.

FGaddon is attempting to put the cart before the horse, I don't have to do anything.... I deliver a product, you can either distribute it in your system or not... your choice.

I have no problem whatsoever to commit content you want to put up. :D
We've done it before. I show you the last result. sometimes you tell me "looks good" on the first run, others I need to make a few correctives.

It works for both of us.

Right?

Not a biggie.

I also commit frequently for lesbof.

And the more of us we can commit, the more of us can interface for you.

(until curiosity sparks enough for you that you want to learn, and we'll get you there step by step if you are willing)

R.M.S.
If we gave everybody in the World free software today, but we failed to teach them about the four freedoms, five years from now, would they still have it?

bomber

Postby bomber » Wed Sep 07, 2016 1:51 pm

I don't have a problem.

If you however wish to offer me an upload link (to make whoever adds files to FGMEMBERS life easier) then I'm ok with that.... but bare in mind most of my work sits alongside existing planes, so I'm offering an alternate flight model that they may wish to try.... It's not a replacement for an existing flightmodel...

I am prepared to work with any repository (naturally not FGUK now, as I'm banned from there due my association here - surely that should get a mention :) ) to deliver an easy upload process.
"If anyone ever tells you anything about an aeroplane which is so bloody complicated you can't understand it, take it from me - it's all balls" - R J Mitchell

IAHM-COL

Postby IAHM-COL » Wed Sep 07, 2016 1:54 pm

1. I know you can use the web to push files to the FGMEMBERS. But it is far from perfect. can't replace the git.

2. Not a problem. If you tell me what aircrafts you want to provide alternate versions, we do that all the time using "branches" for a "alternate version" system too/.

R.M.S.

jwocky
Site Admin

Postby jwocky » Wed Sep 07, 2016 2:02 pm

I was thinking of a button press logic in Java. Just such an idea. But then, I do my stuff mostly in terminals, not graphically. So maybe it is a stupid idea.

IAHM-COL

Postby IAHM-COL » Wed Sep 07, 2016 2:05 pm

commiting in git may require human intervention more often than not

(different to just syncing)

So, the best button on Bomber's side is his email send button.

If he sends me the zip, and I'm clear to push (lets say as a new aircraft or a new branch on an existing aircraft, or as an improvement simply) then I'll interface that for him.

Not that he will be creating a gazillion pushes per hour to make this a limit.

R.M.S.

jwocky
Site Admin

Postby jwocky » Wed Sep 07, 2016 2:08 pm

Okay

SHM

Postby SHM » Wed Sep 07, 2016 2:28 pm

Its pretty easy, first make sure you have push access
Go to the repo where you want to make changes andThen navigate to the file and click it

Next

Make your changes.

Then commit the changes
FG Pilot (2011-2018)
Prepar3d (2015 - 2023)
MSFS2020 (2020 - )

IAHM-COL

Postby IAHM-COL » Wed Sep 07, 2016 2:49 pm

Great post SM

Also bomber, in the last image, if you select create a new branch, it will not commit to the master version of the aircraft. you can add your changes to a branch named "bomber" for instance. Such branch acts like "alternative version " of the same aircraft, but "bomber" flavored.

We do this in a few aircrafts in which fg does have alternative variants.

R.M.S.

Return to “Club of the Banned”