At what point does an attack constitute a ban?

The Club of all those banned or deleted form the "official" FlightGear forum for speaking out political inconvenient truths or just things, the rulers over there didn't want to hear.
D-ECHO

Re: At what point does an attack constitute a ban?

Postby D-ECHO » Fri Jul 10, 2020 5:34 pm

Maybe because if I knew whether you mean me, there could be a constructive dialog about why you consider my FDM work a "lot of crap". And I already specified why I am replying - I am one of the few people in FG modelling gliders and you are referring to gliders

IAHM-COL

Postby IAHM-COL » Fri Jul 10, 2020 6:01 pm

mmhm I see.
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/IAHM-COL/gpg-pubkey/master/pubkey.asc

R.M.S.
If we gave everybody in the World free software today, but we failed to teach them about the four freedoms, five years from now, would they still have it?

Octal450

Postby Octal450 » Sat Jul 11, 2020 9:12 pm

IAHM-COL wrote:I did the perfect opposite. I optimized engine position, and thrust levels and directions to reported specs. And then I started from there.

Off topic Israel, but let me warn you that the Propulsions are a little weird (ESPECIALLY FGTURBINE!) (but still WAY better than yasim). Do not trust him. I had to make custom calculations to get the rated thrust pounds to match the engine percent speed and such, and even more for other parameters.

Kind Regards,
Josh

Richard

Postby Richard » Sun Jul 12, 2020 1:05 am

Octal450 wrote:
IAHM-COL wrote:I did the perfect opposite. I optimized engine position, and thrust levels and directions to reported specs. And then I started from there.

Off topic Israel, but let me warn you that the (JSBSim Propulsions) are a little weird

It is worth noting that when I did the F-14 and other models although the turbine simulation in JSBSim is very simplistic it is sufficiently good enough for what I needed. I suspect Simon is thinking about propellers and piston engines.

Also it is very easy to replace the engine simulation in JSBSim; and also to test fly a model with no propulsion running.

D-ECHO wrote:Maybe because if I knew whether you mean me, there could be a constructive dialog about why you consider my FDM work a "lot of crap"

Possibly he does mean you; but at the end of the day who cares; we have to just model what we can to the best of our abilities on the understanding that there may be people who can point out where we went wrong.

However just saying that something is a "load of crap" without proof or supporting evidence is not a statement that is worth being concerned with.

IAHM-COL

Postby IAHM-COL » Sun Jul 12, 2020 5:01 am

Richard wrote:Possibly he does mean you;

Wow Benedict!
Richard does not seem to have you in good opinion. Because I said there was somebody doing lots of crap on gliders, he thinks it is possibly you?!
Yikes.

Well.. that you evaluate if its possibly yourself, that's one thing. Self criticism is kind of important. But Mr. Peer review here (Richard, indeed) it's kind of pointing fingers!

IH

R.M.S.
If we gave everybody in the World free software today, but we failed to teach them about the four freedoms, five years from now, would they still have it?

IAHM-COL

Postby IAHM-COL » Sun Jul 12, 2020 5:05 am

Octal450 wrote:Off topic Israel, but let me warn you that the Propulsions are a little weird (ESPECIALLY FGTURBINE!) (but still WAY better than yasim).

I kind of suspected this. But I am not at such stage yet with my kite.

R.M.S.

IAHM-COL

Postby IAHM-COL » Sun Jul 12, 2020 5:10 am

Richard wrote: I suspect Simon is thinking about propellers and piston engines.

Speaking of suspecting what Bomber might be meaning is always a wildcard. Just recently I made a big mistake on my interpretation of his sayings (and he corrected me by saying I've had misrepresented his)

However, on the risk of being off target again, I'll say that what I suspect is that bomber means that for most fixed-wing aircrafts, what there should be a fact of the aerodynamic shape is that ...

An aircraft is an aircraft is an aircraft is a glider

This is, these machines will hold fly unless you prevent them too. Propulsion or not. Their flight depends on airspeed not on artificial thrusts.

If that's what he implied with "a glider first" I kind of like that logic,.

R.M.S.

Octal450

Postby Octal450 » Sun Jul 12, 2020 6:08 am

An aircraft is an aircraft is an aircraft is a glider

Agreed. In my FDMs I do same way. All dynamics are done ignoring engine powers. Only the drag caused by the nacelle is concerned.

Then I make the engine behaved right later and in the case of MD-11 and the secret, suddenly the pitch power tables work. Rather than using a wonky engine to adjust an FDM.

turbine simulation in JSBSim is very simplistic

The advantage being I can completely customize it without even replacing it! So I keep startup/shutdown etc...
In the MD-11 I have proper thrust levels vs fan and core speed, and custom FADEC, to control, custom startup/shutdown control, even custom calculations for EPR EGT and such, without replacing FGTurbine. We can make him behave how we want because of how simple it is! :mrgreen: But don't trust it by default

he thinks it is possibly you?!

Why not just use the balls and say it out right?

Kind Regards,
Josh

bomber

Postby bomber » Sun Jul 12, 2020 8:51 am

I suggest a glider because it's simpler, put in another way it has fewer moving parts (don't take that literally)

Remember I'm talking about starting to learn about flight modeling when I suggest starting with a glider.

Inertia and calculating it is something that is also a mystery to 99% of JSBsim modelers, with the numbers being pulled out of the air... or even worse based on another plane..... who's numbers were pulled out of the air or even worse.....etc

Also if a newbie started with a glider, we'd end up with a pool of gliders that had some level of modeling consistency (not that they don't already, I'm not entering into the D-echo (or not) talk)

They're also not anyone's favourite ride.... so passions aren't going to be so high during discussions/critic/corrections..

and maybe the turbulence and jsbsim flight model could eventually get sorted out...
"If anyone ever tells you anything about an aeroplane which is so bloody complicated you can't understand it, take it from me - it's all balls" - R J Mitchell

Return to “Club of the Banned”