Talking Festival 2017

May 5th and 6th, 2018
IAHM-COL

Re: Talking Festival 2017

Postby IAHM-COL » Thu Nov 10, 2016 4:05 pm

Lydiot wrote:
Could that be changed though? Could it possibly be an either-or poll where if Scandinavia is chosen then Europe will be in the spring instead? I know that'd be a practical problem as far as the poll goes, but.... just a thought...

I'd preffer not to. A poll was open about 1 year ago, and that's the option that got selected. Set: Fall/Europe; Sprin/Non-Europe.
Maybe I can dig Curtis' forum for an exact link, but that's there.

I don't think we need to get into the same mayhem everytime Fall Festival ends. We are better off having that set in Rock, and have a clear stablished path of how this moves forward.

Lydiot wrote:I'd also like to ask you (and others) a question:

Do you know what the makeup of participants has been for the festivals so far? I'm wondering because since we have two festivals, and if we "lock" Europe to one part of the year, we'll always have this discrepancy between participants that live physically in real life in very different time zones. So there's twice the "problem" in that a person on the US west coast will only be able to participate at a certain time of day in the festival area, and it could be very different from a person in Germany (i.e. a 9 hr difference I believe).

Is it something that can and should be taken into account do you think?

Not everyone participating (flying) does a report. But I've seen traffic and know many of them. The festival participants are mainly European/American people. The time 16-24UTC is widely popular among both of these groups and Saturday is particular convenient. This does not change at all with Festival Location. (that is, the popular time does not depend on location, nor on time-of-day at this time on the location). I pressume many people just moves the internal clock to a nice "simulated" time, they like -- being Dusk/Noon or something different. This we saw on Japan, per example.

The situation with Scandinavia is that it will be dark for a larger block of time. But I checked yesterday an on November we still have solid 5hrs of daylight to play -with.

Other world places only offer very limited number of participants. Like Africa, Asia, etc.
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/IAHM-COL/gpg-pubkey/master/pubkey.asc

R.M.S.
If we gave everybody in the World free software today, but we failed to teach them about the four freedoms, five years from now, would they still have it?

SHM

Postby SHM » Thu Nov 10, 2016 4:26 pm

It would be nice IF India gets selected, the festival be conducted in November, because then I will get a summer break after 1st year and I could finally get projectIndia in its full form. ;)
FG Pilot (2011-2018)
Prepar3d (2015 - 2023)
MSFS2020 (2020 - )

IAHM-COL

Postby IAHM-COL » Thu Nov 10, 2016 4:31 pm

well.. a way of getting at that is if India loosing, becomes candidate for Spring 2018
That way, we don't have to be running hell yearly about how a festival is formatted.

R.M.S.
If we gave everybody in the World free software today, but we failed to teach them about the four freedoms, five years from now, would they still have it?

LesterBoffo

Postby LesterBoffo » Thu Nov 10, 2016 4:32 pm

SHM wrote:It would be nice IF India gets selected, the festival be conducted in November, because then I will get a summer break after 1st year and I could finally get projectIndia in its full form. ;)

:!: This I like

SHM

Postby SHM » Thu Nov 10, 2016 4:33 pm

All the major airports are done, but there are still a lot.
And by 1 year I meant by Aug my break starts.
FG Pilot (2011-2018)
Prepar3d (2015 - 2023)
MSFS2020 (2020 - )

SHM

Postby SHM » Thu Nov 10, 2016 4:35 pm

IAHM-COL wrote:That way, we don't have to be running hell yearly about how a festival is formatted.

Can't we make an exception :(
FG Pilot (2011-2018)
Prepar3d (2015 - 2023)
MSFS2020 (2020 - )

IAHM-COL

Postby IAHM-COL » Thu Nov 10, 2016 4:40 pm

exception in what order?
Do you want us to say now, Europe Spring/ Non Europe Fall?
And then go to polls to select location?
That could be fair. But then, likewise, India could very likely not win, and thus all that would be rather strange of a swap.

But saying, we change the order IF India gets selected, but we dont bother if not. That: No, we can't make that type of an exception. That's not fair dealing.

R.M.S.

SHM

Postby SHM » Thu Nov 10, 2016 4:42 pm

EUROPE = May

• Scandinavia 2017
  • Italy 2017
  • Greece 2017
  • Spain 2017

NON-EUROPE = November

• India 2017
  • Central America + Mexico 2017
  • The South American Andes 2017
  • Peninsular South East Asia 2017 (Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia, Thailand, Singapore)
  • US East Coast 2017
  • New Guinea 2017
  • The Caucasus 2017
FG Pilot (2011-2018)
Prepar3d (2015 - 2023)
MSFS2020 (2020 - )

IAHM-COL

Postby IAHM-COL » Thu Nov 10, 2016 4:48 pm

As I said before:

1. If we swap the order like that BEFORE the polls. Yes. We can talk that again. As Lydiot suggested above.
I said: I'd preffer not to. But I see that to be fair if done before the polling.

2. The are 2 reasons argued before to set the order Fall/Europe - Spring/Non-Europe.
a) Alternation. This way we will always alternate. Europe->Non->Europe->Non->Europe->Non->etc
If we swap the order we will have an European festival just following UK+Ireland

b) FSWeekend is host in the Neetherlands, and some pilots (like I do) enjoy flying into the Netherlands during FSWeekend. A festival Within Europe in Fall, as coinciding with FSWeekend is a nice opportunity to do this flight. But I am not doing India->EHAM in a festival and ATC at the same time.

3. Regardless of these two reasons (a and b) above, we could talk about swapping the order, but only if we swap the order Before selecting a location, but I do not accept swapping the order after selecting a location. That, again, would be total fair deal, in my opinion.

4. The most important thing you MUST keep in mind, is:
If we change the order, this does not guarantee, nor make more probable that India gets selected. So, we would be making a major readjustment, for much nothing if other place but India gets selected, anyways.

R.M.S.

IAHM-COL

Postby IAHM-COL » Thu Nov 10, 2016 4:53 pm

IAHM-COL wrote:
b) FSWeekend is host in the Neetherlands, and some pilots (like I do) enjoy flying into the Netherlands during FSWeekend. A festival Within Europe in Fall, as coinciding with FSWeekend is a nice opportunity to do this flight. But I am not doing India->EHAM in a festival and ATC at the same time.

I'd like to also add Benelux (Belgium + Netherlands + Luxembourg) to the candidate list for European location 2017, too.

I added it to the list

R.M.S.

Return to “The Festival”