As the poll for FG Festival Spring Festival 2016 comes close

May 5th and 6th, 2018
Lydiot

Re: As the poll for FG Festival Spring Festival 2016 comes close

Postby Lydiot » Thu Dec 03, 2015 5:29 pm

I still think it's a bad idea to pick a place with only one developed airport. I just don't see how we can count on a sufficient amount being developed in time. Of course it could be that we have different opinions on what is enough....

So, with that said: Is there a contingency plan if we're like 4 weeks out and no work at all has been done on Japan's scenery? Do we just deal with it and go ahead anyway, or do we go for the runner-up?
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

IAHM-COL

Postby IAHM-COL » Thu Dec 03, 2015 5:43 pm

Electoral College Votes

Hi @elgaton

We cast our votes as follow

Spring 2016: 3 votes to Japan.
Fall 2016: 3 votes to Scandinavia.

Please announce widely. Current actual counts are
Japan 17 | NorthAmerica NW 7 | Caribbean 4 | Others (combined) 6

UK-Ireland 17 | Scandinavia 11 | Germany 4 | Others (combined) 6
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/IAHM-COL/gpg-pubkey/master/pubkey.asc

R.M.S.
If we gave everybody in the World free software today, but we failed to teach them about the four freedoms, five years from now, would they still have it?

IAHM-COL

Postby IAHM-COL » Thu Dec 03, 2015 5:45 pm

Lydiot wrote:So, with that said: Is there a contingency plan if we're like 4 weeks out and no work at all has been done on Japan's scenery?

I think you are missing the point. Once the poll closes, the winner is set in stone. No contigency required. You are correct suggesting we may end up with a festival in the middle of nowhere and with the closest building being 3000 nm away. (like if Antartica wins)... but that's that.
The choice of location is via a poll, not via an "available scenery" analysis. It's just the way it is.

On the other hand, you can make all propaganda you want for the cutest/most developed places. You know. In elections, 70% is propaganda. 30% ill informed voters. So go for it :D

Finally: I don't recall anyone being committed to make sceneries for the Festival. But it all starts home. (as in, why don't you start making 3d models ?!? they'll be appreciated, certainly ;P )

R.M.S.
If we gave everybody in the World free software today, but we failed to teach them about the four freedoms, five years from now, would they still have it?

legoboyvdlp

Postby legoboyvdlp » Thu Dec 03, 2015 5:53 pm

Aww, you voted on Scandinavia.
Oh well.
The Briton in me is sad.
Jk
~~Legoboyvdlp~~
Maiquetia / Venezuela Custom Scenery
Hallo! Ich bin Jonathan.
Hey!
Avatar created by InSapphoWeTrust CC BY-SA 2.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.p ... d=27409879

Lydiot

Postby Lydiot » Thu Dec 03, 2015 7:17 pm

IAHM-COL wrote:
Lydiot wrote:So, with that said: Is there a contingency plan if we're like 4 weeks out and no work at all has been done on Japan's scenery?

I think you are missing the point. Once the poll closes, the winner is set in stone. No contigency required. You are correct suggesting we may end up with a festival in the middle of nowhere and with the closest building being 3000 nm away. (like if Antartica wins)... but that's that.
The choice of location is via a poll, not via an "available scenery" analysis. It's just the way it is.

I didn't miss that point at all. I'm offering a perspective on this possible end result. During our discussions so far it seems to me that few promoted virtually desolate regions. Most floated the idea sort of generally, but I got the impression most who participated were pulling for a few places in Europe, mostly somewhat developed, the US, again somewhat developed, and the Carribean, same deal.

IAHM-COL wrote:On the other hand, you can make all propaganda you want for the cutest/most developed places. You know. In elections, 70% is propaganda. 30% ill informed voters. So go for it :D

100% propaganda. I like it.

IAHM-COL wrote:Finally: I don't recall anyone being committed to make sceneries for the Festival. But it all starts home. (as in, why don't you start making 3d models ?!? they'll be appreciated, certainly ;P )

I know nothing about doing that, and I have zero time. My point wasn't that someone was committed, my point was that people suggested that by choosing a barren area people would develop for it.

In my opinion, it would be in all our interests to promote (propagandize) one out of two things:

- getting people to commit to developing airports etc for the chosen area, and then do what's possible to make it happen,
- getting people to NOT vote for non-developed areas, if the above is unrealistic

Of course, the above two hinge upon the notion that people actually want to see scenery and airports during the festival. Maybe you don't. Mabye I'm the only one who cares about it. I certainly won't make it a priority to attend if it's going to be what it is today in Japan. Looks incredibly boring to me.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

IAHM-COL

Postby IAHM-COL » Thu Dec 03, 2015 7:26 pm

ok.
Fair points. And I understand

About a new perspective. I am totally against it. If the poll resolves Japan. It is going to be in Japan. No contingency plans required. Scenery available or not. Boring or not.

About propaganda. I am all for it. You have 24 hours and 10 votes to count for a tie.

R.M.S.

IAHM-COL

Postby IAHM-COL » Thu Dec 03, 2015 10:37 pm

KIWI wrote:I know how to make buildings and scenery on sketchup ,only thing i struggle with is saving the layout in FG and writing the scenery code or whatever, if someone could help i would love to create developed airports

:D

That's awesome KIWI. I certainly will be glad to team up with you. I have an idea for the next festival.

R.M.S.

legoboyvdlp

Postby legoboyvdlp » Fri Dec 04, 2015 12:05 am

Can I help? :D
I just need help finding imagery.... any *good* resolution orthoimages to use as a basis for Japan airports?
~~Legoboyvdlp~~
Maiquetia / Venezuela Custom Scenery
Hallo! Ich bin Jonathan.
Hey!
Avatar created by InSapphoWeTrust CC BY-SA 2.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.p ... d=27409879

IAHM-COL

Postby IAHM-COL » Fri Dec 04, 2015 12:16 am

sure you can :D
We'll figure out images as we go... but I'm just withdrawing the declaring Japan a victor. the polls are open... you know?

R.M.S.

SkyBoat

Postby SkyBoat » Fri Dec 04, 2015 4:50 am

Tomorrow!
A James Earl Jones ominous voice with lots of reverb!

Dun-Dun-Duhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!
A full deep, bass, brass section calls forth with timpani rolling ever louder to a crescendo of a smashing shimmering gong and brassy cymbals!
SkyBoat

"Dream no small dream; it lacks magic. Dream large. Then make the dream real."
Donald Douglas

Return to “The Festival”