Oct 16th 2016: Centenary of the Raid on Oberndorf

The Belfort Aerodrome and its WWI events
LesterBoffo

Re: Oct 16th 2016: Centenary of the Raid on Oberndorf

Postby LesterBoffo » Thu Oct 06, 2016 5:36 pm

This is why I never finish any projects :lol:

Yeah It does indeed do a bit of rather vigorous weather-vaning :o Further digging reveals that in the FDM there's tailwheel castering enabled, ( hmmm, did Helijah or myself let this float through..) anyways should be fixed with a little update.

clrcoda

Postby clrcoda » Thu Oct 06, 2016 5:48 pm

OH! excellent. Look forward to your progress.

Where exactly _is_ Obendorf? Would it still be a town that exists in todays Germany?

UPDATE: please ignore the question as I found your excellent description, as I re-read the thread. --Ray

LesterBoffo

Postby LesterBoffo » Thu Oct 06, 2016 6:18 pm

OK these files should have fixed tailbogies..

http://www.mediafire.com/file/04ud8wu0q55n7w0/Fokker-EI.zip

http://www.mediafire.com/file/ulu96yc6dysma56/Fokker-Eindecker-EIII.zip

...Oh and KL-666 was asking about the AVRO 504D's reluctance to land, I hope that this is an improvement on it..

http://www.mediafire.com/file/vrvj95w4kwd1v1v/AVRO-504-D.zip

IAHM-COL

Postby IAHM-COL » Thu Oct 06, 2016 8:55 pm

Thanks lesbof. I'll update the FGMEMBERS' repos.

I am testing the Eindecker EIII to use that one on the event...

IH-COL
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/IAHM-COL/gpg-pubkey/master/pubkey.asc

R.M.S.
If we gave everybody in the World free software today, but we failed to teach them about the four freedoms, five years from now, would they still have it?

clrcoda

Postby clrcoda » Fri Oct 07, 2016 5:35 pm

Hi Lester!

I tried all the new downloads and gosh these are some nice planes :) Can't wait! --ray

(there are like 5 or 6 towns in France with my last name, from which I have no idea where we get ours or if that is how we got ours, but i've been flying north from Belford to Sainte Marie aux mines and taking a right... was neat to find this, well, for me at any rate -- ymmv :) )

clrcoda

Postby clrcoda » Sat Oct 08, 2016 5:39 pm

Howdy lester. :)

Was working on why the generic a/p keyboard controls don't work, even tho the generic a/p does. Still working on that and i came across two things you might consider.

1. there seems to be in the Eiii a dependancy on the Ei at
eiii-base.xml <weight> where it referances a yasim folder ( not part of the eiii and anyway points to the ei) (edit: I see that it points to a property and not a folder now, sorry. still...)

2. would you please consider always removing any "thumbs.db" from any plane that you create/work on. The problem I have found in the past is that windows users will get a dialog from windows asking if it is okay to delete this file, should they have need to delete your plane, stay to download a new one.

An unsophisticated user might not know what to do, so they often reach a stopping point and either take a chance and delete the file not knowing if it was safe ( it is of course) or never move on to install the new plane because the old one is not yet deleted or any number of things newbs do :)

I was going to tighten up the keyboard action of some of these planes. Needs a lot of input for little effect. But seems I'm learning to use the plane the way it is, so ... :)

Thanks --ray

clrcoda

Postby clrcoda » Sat Oct 08, 2016 6:24 pm

Hi Lester. :) I'm wrong :)

Well, at least about the keyboard action. I'm growing to like it. I suppose I thought roll was slow and pitch was harsh, but I've learned to use more roll, and the elevator trim for most pitch adjustments. Only forward and back stick for gross adjustments, like before a turn...

Still at a loss why the a/p works but the keyboard controls of it doesn't. Moved the actual key definitions from keyboard.xml into the plane keyboard, no joy. Oh well. Just, I can't imagine a three hour flight where I would have to be constantly... you know :) I suppose real pilots did it. :) --ray

clrcoda

Postby clrcoda » Sat Oct 08, 2016 9:45 pm

the in plane menu does say Fokker E III but the map shows (ei) -ray

LesterBoffo

Postby LesterBoffo » Sun Oct 09, 2016 1:59 am

clrcoda wrote:Hi Lester. :) I'm wrong :)

Well, at least about the keyboard action. I'm growing to like it. I suppose I thought roll was slow and pitch was harsh, but I've learned to use more roll, and the elevator trim for most pitch adjustments. Only forward and back stick for gross adjustments, like before a turn...

Still at a loss why the a/p works but the keyboard controls of it doesn't. Moved the actual key definitions from keyboard.xml into the plane keyboard, no joy. Oh well. Just, I can't imagine a three hour flight where I would have to be constantly... you know :) I suppose real pilots did it. :) --ray

Since I don't use the keyboard, what is the biggest issue with control? Does the keyboard use the Arrow keys? I suppose I could research a way to tone down control authority, and it might be as simple as reducing the Lift component in the Hstab entry in the .xml. It's aerodynamically not a complex plane. But when Tony evolved the E.I to the E.III, with the more powerful and slightly heavier engine, the forward fuel tank started to limit the flight range, and the solution was to put a bigger fuel tank behind the pilot's seat, which makes the E.III more tail heavy, ergo more pitch unstable and responsive. I've flight moldeled this 'feature'. It unfortunately makes the E.III a bit more vague and prone to phugoid cycles, (the full flying stabilator doesn't help either..) so yeah it's a a bit pitch touchy.

LesterBoffo

Postby LesterBoffo » Mon Oct 10, 2016 2:19 pm

Ray, (clrcoda) and I did another practice flight in the old kites. I flew in from Ochey LFSO, he from Belfort-Chaux LFGG. Flew to Oberndorf

Some images from that flight..

Return to “Belfort Aerodrome: The Taildraggers”