Help! Why is FG so bad?

Everything that has to do with the forum on a technical level. Logins, posts, formatting ...
hans05

Re: Help! Why is FG so bad?

Postby hans05 » Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:32 pm

Another question to the pros:

Has anyone set up Eclipse CDT/Linux in a way that you can code FG in Eclipse and build it and something drops out that can be used immediately?
I already have Eclipse CDT installed. Also I cloned FG into a new workspace, but obviously that will only give me a "general project" that will not at all compile or build.
I understand that there are a kazillion dependencies and so far I have not understood how to integrate everything into Eclipse in a way that I can just press the compile button and then the run button and bang/voilà I get a running FG.

I already posted this question in FGUK forum but got no really helpful answer so far. Anyone here?

What setup do core developers use? Windows/VisualStudio or Netbeans (the description of how to set Netbeans for this job up is ridiculously elaborate)?
Or do they not use any IDE?
Or, let me guess: They use an IDE to edit some files, but for compiling they use CLI?!?

123apple

Postby 123apple » Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:08 pm

I use CMAKE / Visual Studio Community 17 to compile using a command line script (.cmd) - for editing I just use notepad++, as it's easier!

Richard

Postby Richard » Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:20 pm

I'm using Visual Studio 2015 with cmake.

I also build OSG (from master i.e. 3.7 head).

I've developed stuff for both unix and Windows; generally I'll prefer MSVC because and even do unix developments on Win32 until it gets to the point where I can't (e.g. unix only things like shm).

I found that both NetBeans and Eclipse were fairly poor in comparison to MSVC (this was about 2013) - they may have improved. Generally I use xemacs, makefiles and gdb directly rather than an IDE partly because both NetBeans and Eclipse were slow and buggy (this may have changed).

It's good on windows because cmake can generation MSVC project files.

I think most of the core devs use the command line with cmake for both OSX and linux; there are other people using MSVC to build under Windows.

hans05

Postby hans05 » Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:16 pm

Seems like IceCube has nailed down the shadow problem?!? GREAT, if it really works and looks like the pictures he published with acceptable frame rate :-)

I started to get FG into Eclipse but I am stuck since I have never fiddled with cmake before. So I do not know how to convince the cmake of simgear to look for OpenAL inside of my eclipse workspace (where I built it from source). At the moment the build of simgear complains to not find OpenAL. I think I will be able to figure it out once I have time again, but if somebody already knows how to do that in Eclipse I would not complain about helpful hints.

Return to “Technical Questions”