Do you believe in God?

Whatever moves you, even it makes no sense ...

Do you believe in God(s)?

Yes, I believe there is a God.
25%
Yes, I believe there are many (more than one) gods.
No votes
No, I don't believe there is any kind of god.
50%
I don't know.
25%

Total votes: 12

Lydiot

Re: Do you believe in God?

Postby Lydiot » Wed Sep 21, 2016 3:15 pm

KL-666 wrote:I do not know anymore how to explain, Lydiot. You are so fixated in the binary mode, theist - atheist, that you can not imagine any option of living with probabilities. Not true, not false, but probably.

One last try with quantum theory. Normal binary people can try to understand the theory from their binary perspective. They will be able to say things about it, but not really understand it, because inherently they reduce everything to true or false. On the other hand there are people that do not use true or false, but live on a principle of probability. They do not need to learn quantum theory from the outside, translate it to binary. They live quantum theory. They are quantum. (Good next nickname for me :-))

I guess binary people can inherently not understand quantum people. Only reducing them to binary makes any sense for the binaries. As you do with saying: If you are not theist, then you are atheist. Something which is totally illogical to a quantum person.

Kind regards, Vincent

I think you're completely misunderstanding what I'm saying though, or what the words actually mean. And that has nothing to do with trying to change your views or anything like that.

If we take numbers as an example we can state a couple of things. So let's say we state that 1+1=2. That is our statement. Now, we can view that as a fact that is either true or false. Whether that fact is true or false is one thing. But let's give it a name. Let's call it Y. So, whether or not we know or can know (if) Y (is true) is one thing. If a person says: "I don't know if Y is true", then that person is 'agnostic' with respect to the truth of Y.

But the other thing is "belief". It is not the same thing as knowledge. I can say that I believe in Y. We can therefore call me a Y-ist. A Y-ist is making a claim, an affirmation of his belief, and that affirmation is clear and unequivocal. A Y-ist believes Y is true. This is the definition of a Y-ist.

- A Y-ist does NOT believe Y is false.
- A Y-ist does NOT NOT believe Y is true.
- A Y-ist believes Y is true.

That is the definition of Y-ist.

Now, if I ask you if you believe Y, and you say anything other than "I believe Y", then according to the definition of Y-ist you are not a Y-ist. The definition is a reflection of the statements of the person (assuming the person speaks the truth).

Once we have that out of the way we can look at the definition of "a-Y-ist". It is simply one that is not a Y-ist. It will cover several options, such as:

- I believe Y is false.
- I don't know if Y is true, but I don't believe it is.
- I don't think about it and haven't made my mind up about it, so I have no opinion about it.

An a-Y-ist is someone who does not take the position of a Y-ist. By definition this will include not taking a position at all.

In other words; you can have your opinion about what you are and what you'd prefer to be called, but you can't change the way those terms work just by wanting it.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Lydiot

Postby Lydiot » Wed Sep 21, 2016 3:27 pm

KL-666 wrote:I do not know anymore how to explain, Lydiot. You are so fixated in the binary mode, theist - atheist, that you can not imagine any option of living with probabilities. Not true, not false, but probably.

I just want to say one more thing, and please please please give this a little thought - and I'll start by quoting JWocky:

Now, a little bit math for beginners, since you spread junk:

if y= not x, tertium non datur.

That means, if you belief in y, belief actually in not x, which IS actualla belief.
You can belief God exists (x)
or you can belief God doesn't exist (y=not x)

You can't just say, God exists and doesn't exist at the same time or God exists just a little bit ... this is a digital state of existence.
I mean, technically, of course, you can say everything, you delivered this logical failure already twice, but it actually only proves with mathematical certainty, you didn't understood the logic.

THAT, is a binary mode!!!

But notice that it is the result of what he says "Atheist" means. The options that JWocky gave you 'force you to commit'. But Atheist means without Theism, and so while in that sense it's binary, it actually means you have plenty of options beside Theism. It isn't a binary explanation of your beliefs.

jwocky
Site Admin

Postby jwocky » Wed Sep 21, 2016 4:07 pm

You still don't get it. How about you learn the meaning of the words you use. Theism is the concept to belief in the existence of God or other higher powers, Atheism is the belief in the non-existence.

Discussion with you remind me always of this Airplane movie:

The problem is, the people in the movie did it as jokes ...
Free speech can never be achieved by dictatorial measures!

Lydiot

Postby Lydiot » Wed Sep 21, 2016 4:28 pm

jwocky wrote:You still don't get it. How about you learn the meaning of the words you use. Theism is the concept to belief in the existence of God or other higher powers,

Yes.

jwocky wrote: Atheism is the belief in the non-existence.

Nope. It is the lack of theist belief.

How about you go back to your previous post, re-read the etymology you quoted, and google what "without" means.

Return to “Unrelated Nonsense”