what os are you using?

Whatever moves you, even it makes no sense ...

What OS are you using?

Poll ended at Thu Jul 28, 2016 4:51 am

Linux
48%
Windows
29%
Mac
19%
Punchcard System :P
5%

Total votes: 21

OPFOR77

Re: what os are you using?

Postby OPFOR77 » Thu Jul 14, 2016 8:56 pm

lol yeah. You wearing your tin-foil hat? You'll need it to keep the guberment out.
Microsoft collects meta-information that you can opt out of, they don't have keyloggers installed on every computer.
If I was really worried that much about computer privacy, I definitely wouldn't be using any mainstream OS.

edit: you can't opt out of telemetry unless you're running an enterprise edition of win10, but you can turn it way, way down. Also, telemetry data is anonymized.
OPRF Fighter Jock and Dev

KL-666

Postby KL-666 » Thu Jul 14, 2016 10:31 pm

Hello Opfor,

I come from an era where privacy existed and mattered. In fact the internet was not invented yet. In the early years of the internet there were not much privacy problems either. No one had thought of collecting huge loads of private information as a business model. Only since the invention of smartphones (apple/android) suddenly every application and os wants to send all my private information to their servers (actually i think Microsoft is very late at it with win10). If i look at what permissions some applications want me to give them, it is just appalling. A simple note app wants my address book and identity? Come on, get real! I simply refuse to install it.

Sure it has become really hard nowadays to avoid private data to be stolen. In fact even if you are locked up completely, social networks will already have made a profile of you based on the address books of your friends and their preferences.

Yet however hard it is, there is no reason to throw the towel into the ring just like that. I will always defend my privacy as good as i can. Even if that means to refrain from things like smartphones. In fact i am thoroughly unhappy with the privacy protection on my android phone, and will never buy one again. I'll see what Ubuntu Touch has to offer, else i'll get me a dumb phone next time.

One thing is for sure: I shall never surrender!

Kind regards, Vincent

IAHM-COL

Postby IAHM-COL » Thu Jul 14, 2016 10:35 pm

OPFOR77 wrote:I definitely wouldn't be using any mainstream OS.

I'll say this version of linux should fit the needs of any ultra-paranoid-android

https://tails.boum.org/
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/IAHM-COL/gpg-pubkey/master/pubkey.asc

R.M.S.
If we gave everybody in the World free software today, but we failed to teach them about the four freedoms, five years from now, would they still have it?

IAHM-COL

Postby IAHM-COL » Thu Jul 14, 2016 10:39 pm

KL-666 wrote:Hello Opfor,

I come from an era where privacy existed and mattered.

ETC

Hear, Hear, KL-666

That's just my exact sentiment.
My android makes me loose patient everytime an application wants to update and asks for more permissions into outrageous stuff. One answer: No thanks. Answer is provided like once weekly, cause the damn smart-spy ''thinks'' I'll get bored of saying: GTFO.
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/IAHM-COL/gpg-pubkey/master/pubkey.asc

R.M.S.
If we gave everybody in the World free software today, but we failed to teach them about the four freedoms, five years from now, would they still have it?

OPFOR77

Postby OPFOR77 » Thu Jul 14, 2016 10:54 pm

*sigh*

KL-666

Postby KL-666 » Fri Jul 15, 2016 12:01 am

What does *sigh* mean Opfor? You surrendered, so we should all surrender? I am sorry for you, but there is still some backbone in the world that shall never surrender. Anyway, stick with your choice, i stick with mine, and we can co-exist peacefully :-)

Kind regards, Vincent

OPFOR77

Postby OPFOR77 » Fri Jul 15, 2016 12:57 am

I didn't surrender so I'm not sure what you're getting at with that. It ain't my fault if you bought into the "Windows 10 means no privacy" media hype/lie.

The sigh was because y'all completely ignored my last post.

KL-666

Postby KL-666 » Fri Jul 15, 2016 1:03 am

Errr, you mentioned tin foil hats in your last post. And i reacted to it by describing that one does not need a tin foil hat to resist. So which part is not reacting to your post?

Kind regards, Vincent

OPFOR77

Postby OPFOR77 » Fri Jul 15, 2016 1:11 am

It was a jab at those who think Windows 10 means surrendering all privacy. Which is 100% false.

May have misread yours so sorry about that.

KL-666

Postby KL-666 » Fri Jul 15, 2016 1:20 am

Well, we both can not be a 100% sure about what Microsoft does. Let's say chances are that Microsoft does something fishy we do not know about, but all evidence points towards it. So logically i would say you reduce the "Which is 100% false" to maybe 90% or so.

Anyway, apology for bad reading accepted.

Kind regards, Vincent

Return to “Unrelated Nonsense”