What type of music do you listen to?

Whatever moves you, even it makes no sense ...
Octal450

What type of music do you listen to?

Postby Octal450 » Thu Jul 14, 2016 3:14 am

Hi all, just wondering. What music you listen to?

Me:

Electronic music, specifically dubstep, some light rock.

What you listen?

Josh
Last edited by Octal450 on Sat Sep 10, 2016 2:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

IAHM-COL

Re: What type of music do you listen to?

Postby IAHM-COL » Thu Jul 14, 2016 3:59 am

If it's music, I'll listen to it.

My ultra-favorite is Opera. Then lots of "classical" including Barroque, and Romantique.

I also enjoy some Punk, alternative, Rock, and some Electronic and Hip-hop

I don't understand Rap much, but I can listen to certain of the genre.
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/IAHM-COL/gpg-pubkey/master/pubkey.asc

R.M.S.
If we gave everybody in the World free software today, but we failed to teach them about the four freedoms, five years from now, would they still have it?

D-ECHO

Postby D-ECHO » Thu Jul 14, 2016 4:34 am

I like Metal and especially Symphonic Metal eg Nightwish https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ukDEYRXoH2g or https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=IJb3xwtpmmc
:-D

Octal450

Postby Octal450 » Thu Jul 14, 2016 10:52 am

Interesting.

I agree, Rap is terrible. It's the only style that I hate. (out of the major ones)

Josh

Lydiot

Postby Lydiot » Thu Jul 14, 2016 2:00 pm

I will listen to anything that's good. I admit I don't often listen to Opera, Country or EDM though. I'd say the one genre I dislike because it's filled with simplistic garbage is EDM. I know people hate on Rap but I grew up a few decades ago when it was really good, so I can't hate on it even though a lot of it today is garbage. I probably listen mostly to rock, jazz, r&b and "pop" (whatever that is...)....

For those that hate rap I'm guessing you might not have heard some of the better artists... though I could be wrong...
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

IAHM-COL

Postby IAHM-COL » Thu Jul 14, 2016 2:04 pm

Lydiot wrote:For those that hate rap I'm guessing you might not have heard some of the better artists... though I could be wrong...

I don't hate it. I just have found what I've listen so musically simplistic, that I fear I'd preffer granting it "poetry" category. that helps me engaging to it more :P

Do you have a good playlist suggestion (a few songs or so) --no eminem-- that I can Listen to as a good intro to Rap?
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/IAHM-COL/gpg-pubkey/master/pubkey.asc

R.M.S.
If we gave everybody in the World free software today, but we failed to teach them about the four freedoms, five years from now, would they still have it?

Octal450

Postby Octal450 » Thu Jul 14, 2016 4:24 pm

If you have some, I'd like see this Good Rap.

Lydiot

Postby Lydiot » Fri Jul 15, 2016 1:14 am

Playlist? Not really. I actually find Eminem quite talented even though I never listened much to him. I'd recommend checking out;

Digable Planets - two studio albums
A Tribe Called Quest - Midnight Marauders, Low End Theory
The Roots - Do You Want More

I think the above three probably well represent a style of rap/hip-hop that I like a lot, all older, all fairly organic in that the samples used are cool, or in the case of The Roots that they actually use real musicians playing real instruments. Good musicians too. Very good musicians.

Certainly in the realm of sampling one can't omit Beasty Boys' "Paul's Boutique". They're kind'a "funny" though.

Honorable mention:

Mos Def - Black On Both Sides
Public Enemy - Fear Of A Black Planet
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Octal450

Postby Octal450 » Fri Jul 15, 2016 1:21 am

I check it out.

OPFOR77

Postby OPFOR77 » Fri Jul 15, 2016 1:25 am

Got to see The Roots live while visiting New York. I was super impressed. They have some hugely talented musicians.

To answer OP, I listen to everything. I don't like world, and I'm not fond of Muzak. Outside of that, I'm good.

I tend to gravitate towards hardcore and post hardcore. My current favorite include Defeater, Beartooth, Oh Sleeper, Chunk! No, Captain Chunk!, A Day To Remember, August Burns Red, Jonwayne, Streetlight Manifesto, Andy Othling, Vildhjarta for when I want to fight dragons and slay mythical beasts, and Chase Hadden for when I just want some mad beats.

When I play guitar, my favorite style to do is ambient/shoe gaze, followed by playing stuff a lá The Dead Weather, bluesy and messy with lots of fuzz. And I play a lot of metalcore and djent.
OPRF Fighter Jock and Dev

Return to “Unrelated Nonsense”