Edinburgh Airport (EGPH)

Airports with problems of all kinds
Catalanoic

Re: Edinburgh Airport (EGPH)

Postby Catalanoic » Sun Sep 18, 2016 4:57 pm

I tried the Geneve airport version availible at TS. Another impressive work! There're buildings with the scheme as Edinburgh (fg members logo) or virtual FG airlines.

IAHM-COL

Postby IAHM-COL » Sun Sep 18, 2016 5:02 pm

yup.. As you see, I think our FG world can bring realism, and at the same time, we can use creativity to create our own meta-world in a way that realistically blends reality with in-sim gaming. And be an effective advertizing mechanism. As well as an effective way to "sign" our own works. (keep in mind that while aircraft launches with an splash screen that can be effectively used for this purpose, this is not the case for scenery)

The advantage of the custom scenery and promptly (when I upload) terraGIT is that the TS scenery has a couple of bugs that I couldnt get to fix. Small stuff. But largely the fact that Geneve airport contains a customized and performance improved OSM2City addition that covers all geneve.

If you compare the scenery on TS with the custom scenery, you'll notice that the difference is gigantic.

I tried pushing the OSM2city to TS, but failed miserably. I got the reply (those days) that TS does not support those OSM2City buildings, and thus I had to compromise in having Geneve in TS in a way totally different as we, as authors, intended.
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/IAHM-COL/gpg-pubkey/master/pubkey.asc

R.M.S.
If we gave everybody in the World free software today, but we failed to teach them about the four freedoms, five years from now, would they still have it?

IAHM-COL

Postby IAHM-COL » Sun Sep 18, 2016 5:09 pm

In sinchronity, you can check KXTA, and you will find there an USA tour headquarters, a JWocky workshop, and a Firefly workshop as well.

R.M.S.
If we gave everybody in the World free software today, but we failed to teach them about the four freedoms, five years from now, would they still have it?

Catalanoic

Postby Catalanoic » Sun Sep 18, 2016 5:16 pm

I'm agree with you about the adversitings, something that i will manage to do, but you talk about OSM-related content too, what i experienced in some cities and regions as a performance test, not just Geneva, all with positives advantages but needed to solve some problems. I don't know if you are aware of the mailing list, but a group of people are working on it, preparing the new OSM structure to be able to coexist with the actual "hand-made" scenery. Some of the problems/questions are how to remove a part of a OSM structure when we made a new "hand-made" one. I heart something about collision data or smaller blocks of buildings but all are time and HDD space constraints, i think its not too easy as add another layer to our scenery.
PS: OSMcity is here since 3-4 years aprox, also not new. have a separated scenery system (terragit) for some great features like OSM and new/updated layouts is a good alternative, but temporal i think.

IAHM-COL

Postby IAHM-COL » Sun Sep 18, 2016 5:20 pm

1 yes. I read the devel.list and I know what they are attempting
2. About geneve. No. It is not just the output of OSM2city. I optimized it heavily so it does not double on buildings I build and in spite of the heavy object density has very minor effect on performance. This improvement was heavily tested by me and other with positive results
3. I think if the core developer does not optimize the OSM2City buildings, and then bring that globally, this will have a tremendous and negative impact on FG Scenery performance world-wide. They are being a bit careless there. Some areas with those buildings unoptimized can bring many non-ultraperformance /gaming computers literally on their kness...
And the pilot to struggle to perform a decent fly simulation.

R.M.S.

IAHM-COL

Postby IAHM-COL » Sun Sep 18, 2016 5:22 pm

Catalanoic wrote: preparing the new OSM structure to be able to coexist with the actual "hand-made" scenery. Some of the problems/questions are how to remove a part of a OSM structure when we made a new "hand-made" one.

The OSM2city python script ALREADY does this. (certainly with some bugs)

R.M.S.

Catalanoic

Postby Catalanoic » Sun Sep 18, 2016 5:30 pm

"About geneve. No. It is not just the output of OSM2city. I optimized it heavily so it does not double on buildings I build and in spite of the heavy object density has very minor effect on performance. This improvement was heavily tested by me and other with positive results" : Well, i will try definetely the geneva-terragit version.

IAHM-COL

Postby IAHM-COL » Sun Sep 18, 2016 5:45 pm

Not in terraGIT (yet)

Get it with the FGMEMBERS-SCENERY repo while I come around it.

R.M.S.

Catalanoic

Postby Catalanoic » Sun Sep 18, 2016 5:46 pm

OK, thanks

IAHM-COL

Postby IAHM-COL » Mon Sep 19, 2016 1:20 am

Catalanoic wrote:PS: OSMcity is here since 3-4 years aprox, also not new. have a separated scenery system (terragit) for some great features like OSM and new/updated layouts is a good alternative, but temporal i think.

Why temporal?
Are you of the opinion that Terrasync is reaching its end of life?

R.M.S.

Return to “Airports”