Jomo is no more

How to make pilots finding airports ...
Lydiot
Posts: 554
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2015 1:30 pm

Re: Jomo is no more

Postby Lydiot » Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:15 pm

KL-666 wrote:In reality these people have no clue about real aviation, as they do not know golden rule number one: ATC is always right, no discussing on the air.


Jomo violated that rule himself a bunch of times.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Lydiot
Posts: 554
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2015 1:30 pm

Re: Jomo is no more

Postby Lydiot » Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:20 pm

jwocky wrote:So ... if we want to make something positively out of this, lets think, what would be a good beginner's area and who would be willing to ATC there regularly. Because only then, we can hope that pilots in FG can deal with someone who has, as Jomo did, his own phraseology, his own procedures and still expected everyone to follow them to the dot on the i. You can't just do that if you always think "did I forget something?"


I actually did semi-regular ATC for a while at KLAX and KLAS. I always gave the pilots the option of just how much realism they wanted. If they wanted to follow my instructions they could, and I would then put them on real approach procedures. If they just wanted to go straight in or use their own approach and just get a "cleared to land" from me that was fine too.

It's really not that complicated.

I actually think both of those are good for newbies. They're close to each other and KPHX / KSFO and the grand canyon. For somewhat long hauls it's a reasonable distance to the US east coast, northern Canada and Hawaii. Nice scenery. Varied weather. Several built-up airports.

The problem for me was committing to a regular time and then sitting there when nobody shows up, for like two-three weeks in a row. Makes it hard to commit.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

User avatar
IAHM-COL
Posts: 5666
Joined: Sat Sep 12, 2015 3:43 pm
Location: Homey, NV (KXTA) - U.S.A
Contact:

Re: Jomo is no more

Postby IAHM-COL » Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:35 pm

Lydiot wrote:The problem for me was committing to a regular time and then sitting there when nobody shows up, for like two-three weeks in a row. Makes it hard to commit.


Which is precisely one of the points Jomo surpasses you.
He certainly had commitment and consistency. He was there, as scheduled. Pilots or not.
R.M.S.
If we gave everybody in the World free software today, but we failed to teach them about the four freedoms, five years from now, would they still have it? Probably not, because if they don’t recognise their freedoms, they’ll let their freedoms fall

KL-666
Posts: 1609
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2015 8:42 am

Re: Jomo is no more

Postby KL-666 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:41 pm

IAHM-COL wrote:I'd love to plan a EDDF fly in with Jomo, if he agrees.


Yes, it would be magnificent, and we might convince Jomo to reconsider. But i fear on such a beautiful day, we'll have to deal with the negativity of the likes of Lydiot again. So no, it is probably better to leave it as is.

Kind regards, Vincent

User avatar
IAHM-COL
Posts: 5666
Joined: Sat Sep 12, 2015 3:43 pm
Location: Homey, NV (KXTA) - U.S.A
Contact:

Re: Jomo is no more

Postby IAHM-COL » Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:46 pm

I am aware of the risk that guys with a sense of humor may try to be noticed, and be annoying.
But I am also hopeful it could be one of our more regular fly-ins. It will be kind of cool to land as our typical group of pilots and get jomo some message of thanks for the years of ATCing.

The end could be a real nice opportunity for anecdote telling and remembrance. ... anecdotes in Frankfort, I certainly have a handful.

I for one, enjoyed and learned of him. And crashed my plane on his RWY a handful of times.
R.M.S.
If we gave everybody in the World free software today, but we failed to teach them about the four freedoms, five years from now, would they still have it? Probably not, because if they don’t recognise their freedoms, they’ll let their freedoms fall

KL-666
Posts: 1609
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2015 8:42 am

Re: Jomo is no more

Postby KL-666 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:10 am

I already emailed Jomo earlier, when i read this horrible news (as i do not write where he reads, the horrible other forum). So i wait a day or two for his reaction, before mailing again.

Kind regards, vincent

Lydiot
Posts: 554
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2015 1:30 pm

Re: Jomo is no more

Postby Lydiot » Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:11 am

IAHM-COL wrote:
Lydiot wrote:The problem for me was committing to a regular time and then sitting there when nobody shows up, for like two-three weeks in a row. Makes it hard to commit.


Which is precisely one of the points Jomo surpasses you.


So? We all know that.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Lydiot
Posts: 554
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2015 1:30 pm

Re: Jomo is no more

Postby Lydiot » Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:14 am

KL-666 wrote:
IAHM-COL wrote:I'd love to plan a EDDF fly in with Jomo, if he agrees.


Yes, it would be magnificent, and we might convince Jomo to reconsider. But i fear on such a beautiful day, we'll have to deal with the negativity of the likes of Lydiot again. So no, it is probably better to leave it as is.

Kind regards, Vincent


So you found a way to try to insult me huh? Why the fuck would you think I would show up on a tribute to Jomo day and destroy it??? I've never ever trolled Jomo at his airport and I certainly wouldn't do that on a day like that.

I think he was a good ATC, but not nearly as great as a lot of people said, and on top of that he was often a dick towards newbies and turned them off to both him and flying controlled. It's no wonder he got trolled so hard. He refused to take advice to chill out a bit and even went to the extent of writing long explanations to justify his actions, all while omitting information or misrepresenting what happened. This is also what you do so I can see why you'd be endeared by him.

But for you to suggest that I would on purpose destroy such an event is really shitty. Go fuck yourself.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Lydiot
Posts: 554
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2015 1:30 pm

Re: Jomo is no more

Postby Lydiot » Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:17 am

IAHM-COL wrote:I am aware of the risk that guys with a sense of humor may try to be noticed, and be annoying.
But I am also hopeful it could be one of our more regular fly-ins. It will be kind of cool to land as our typical group of pilots and get jomo some message of thanks for the years of ATCing.

The end could be a real nice opportunity for anecdote telling and remembrance. ... anecdotes in Frankfort, I certainly have a handful.

I for one, enjoyed and learned of him. And crashed my plane on his RWY a handful of times.


Here's a suggestion:

PM everyone that loves his service and has used it over the years. Set up a temporary forum or email thread with you guys only, and then coordinate a date with Jomo without announcing it to the entire world. That way you get a bunch of pilots, all of which like to fly with Jomo's ATC. No outsiders will know when the event will happen and you can choose a time he wasn't normally there. You can omit me as well if you want since I won't join anyway (because I don't like him).

I think that may work. Does that sound like a decent suggestion?
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

User avatar
jwocky
Site Admin
Posts: 1812
Joined: Sat Sep 12, 2015 12:04 pm
Contact:

Re: Jomo is no more

Postby jwocky » Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:39 am

Actually, the idea to have Jomo coordinate here and gets a more selective customer base makes some sense.
Free speech can never be achieved by dictatorial measures!


Return to “ATCing”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest