Cancel Order for New Airforce One!?

Talk about flying in real life
IAHM-COL

Re: Cancel Order for New Airforce One!?

Postby IAHM-COL » Wed Dec 14, 2016 5:19 pm

Maybe...
Language can certainly be very dynamic as it changes in a way such that one can speak of "language evolution".

Language serving the primary function of communication is quintessential to our societies. And maybe, because of that, it also --as all societal tools-- could be able to serve to "buffalo"

Right?
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/IAHM-COL/gpg-pubkey/master/pubkey.asc

R.M.S.
If we gave everybody in the World free software today, but we failed to teach them about the four freedoms, five years from now, would they still have it?

OPFOR77

Postby OPFOR77 » Wed Dec 14, 2016 5:34 pm

Of course it could. Anything can be used to buffalo. But naturalistic language evolution will happen with or without us. The english language has changed substantially, even over the last 500 years. Even in the last 150 years we've lost letters and our vocabulary has changed enormously. Especially with the ability to easily communicate globally, English itself will continue morphing and there's nothing that can be done to stop it.

I speak a language where nearly 20% of the vocabulary has been changed in the last decade. No idea how much of the grammar, but that's been changed quite a bit too. I've come face to face with natural and artificial language evolution on a large scale and seen how it can impact communities first hand.
OPRF Fighter Jock and Dev

KL-666

Postby KL-666 » Wed Dec 14, 2016 11:03 pm

OPFOR77 wrote:I speak a language where nearly 20% of the vocabulary has been changed in the last decade

I do not know where you live, but we have a yearly addendum to the language called the Green Book. It turns wrong street language into correct language, by allowing the unintelligible street language as correct. Some grotesque changes have even been reverted after a few years. Many people just neglect that Green Book, as it is merely raping the language. And others, great novelists, purposefully write their next book following the Green Book, just to have a big laugh. No, changes in language can not be more frequent and more silly than in The Netherlands.

Kind regards, Vincent

Lydiot

Postby Lydiot » Thu Dec 15, 2016 12:59 am

OPFOR77 wrote:Sorry, I have to.

jwocky wrote:The last three times, you pulled

Comma is ungrammatical and unnecessary. It forms a parenthetical phrase which doesn't really work here.

jwocky wrote:that of

Off, not of. Also the idiom "pulling something off" is reserved for feats, challenges, or actions that are difficult. It's not really appropriate here.

jwocky wrote:Myriam-Webster

Merriam-Webster

jwocky wrote:prove to you you have as usual no

A parenthetical comma would help here a lot around "as usual". As it is, your first sentence is quite the run on sentence, and this bit can take a small amount of parsing to comprehend.

jwocky wrote:find someone else to play.

The saying is generally "somewhere", but this works I guess.

Also, note that Merriam-Webster is a dictionary, and is not a complete grammar or idiom guide. It's contents are not always applicable when criticizing someone's grammar, and vocabulary is only one facet of language.

:)

Sorry for quoting all of the above, but seriously; thanks for the laugh....
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

jwocky
Site Admin

Postby jwocky » Thu Dec 15, 2016 9:44 pm

The last three times COMMA because now follows a relative-sentence. And now go back to schgool kiddo and learn something for life ...
Free speech can never be achieved by dictatorial measures!

OPFOR77

Postby OPFOR77 » Thu Dec 15, 2016 10:00 pm

I have considered poking the bear some more, but have decided against it. :D
OPRF Fighter Jock and Dev

Lydiot

Postby Lydiot » Thu Dec 15, 2016 10:53 pm

lol.... you're killing me....

jwocky
Site Admin

Postby jwocky » Fri Dec 23, 2016 4:41 pm

And, returning back to the original subject ... Trump met with the CEOs of Boeing (about Air Force One) and Lockheed Martin (about the F-35). Boeing vowed to reduce the costs, Lockheed Martin is checking, so there it is too early to say something. Means, the tax payer already saved a few hundred millions on AF1, now we see whether we can save some billions on the F-35 program.

OMG, now the Lydiots will cry, that is soooooooooooo bad and we should just pay and make more debt, right?
Free speech can never be achieved by dictatorial measures!

KL-666

Postby KL-666 » Sat Dec 24, 2016 1:26 am

Well, that joints smoking starfighter has been a ripoff from the beginning. And saving a few bucks on your command center is not really a big deal.

Kind regards, Vincent

Lydiot

Postby Lydiot » Sat Dec 24, 2016 3:53 am

jwocky wrote:And, returning back to the original subject ... Trump met with the CEOs of Boeing (about Air Force One) and Lockheed Martin (about the F-35). Boeing vowed to reduce the costs, Lockheed Martin is checking, so there it is too early to say something. Means, the tax payer already saved a few hundred millions on AF1, now we see whether we can save some billions on the F-35 program.

OMG, now the Lydiots will cry, that is soooooooooooo bad and we should just pay and make more debt, right?

When did I EVER advocate more government spending than necessary on Air Force one???
Why on earth would I be opposed to the US government paying LESS for it???

You just keep showing how incredibly incapable you are of getting your head out of your ass, and your ass is filled with 100% preconceived notions of what I think about things. It's like you're hell-bent on showing everyone how substandard your thinking is.

Return to “Real life flying”