The missed [soccer] match

Talk about flying in real life
SHM

Re: The missed [soccer] match

Postby SHM » Fri Dec 02, 2016 1:22 pm

jwocky wrote:It must be a security setting on your computers, I saw them fine, but they were the same ones, I linked earlier

KL-666 wrote:@SHM, have a look a few posts back, there i also put a link to the page where the chart originates from.

Ya, i saw the avherald link, but the reason why I said was because D-ECHO and Lester were also having trouble seeing them.

In my computer I don't have a problem, it was when I saw it in Chrome-Android I couldn't see.
FG Pilot (2011-2018)
Prepar3d (2015 - 2023)
MSFS2020 (2020 - )

LesterBoffo

Postby LesterBoffo » Fri Dec 02, 2016 3:02 pm

Well to play around with the scenario, I tried to glide the Jumbo in from about 7 miles out at about a 11,000' altitude with no fuel, half-flaps, gear down and full passenger weight. I didn't quite make the runway and of course didn't pay attention to the direction and made my approach from the North. I didn't even make the airport periphery. I bounced off the last of the closest small hill and munched onto the greenspace at 90 knots. Yeah so this doesn't account for the actual weather, there could have been some terrible wind-shear at the turn to final, who knows what other issues were at play.

SHM

Postby SHM » Fri Dec 02, 2016 4:07 pm

IAHM-COL wrote:Maybe we could find the pertinent metar

SKRG 290300Z VRB02KT 9999 -DZ BKN015 SCT080 17/16 A3025
FG Pilot (2011-2018)
Prepar3d (2015 - 2023)
MSFS2020 (2020 - )

jwocky
Site Admin

Postby jwocky » Fri Dec 02, 2016 5:18 pm

The 2933 wasn't at full weight, the FG Jumbolino has more drag than the real one on the flaps, didn't come to change that and if you put the gear down anywhere before like 400ft AGL, it is Darwin's law at work. But it all depends at the speed, the plane had. If he was still in the steep descend configuration, there was no way.
Free speech can never be achieved by dictatorial measures!

jwocky
Site Admin

Postby jwocky » Fri Dec 02, 2016 5:35 pm

Okay, I just read on s page named "newsok.com", the Colombian authorities confirmed, the plane was out of fuel. Makes me wonder how they could establish this for sure with all wing takes broken open.
Free speech can never be achieved by dictatorial measures!

IAHM-COL

Postby IAHM-COL » Fri Dec 02, 2016 5:40 pm

they have the black boxes.
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/IAHM-COL/gpg-pubkey/master/pubkey.asc

R.M.S.
If we gave everybody in the World free software today, but we failed to teach them about the four freedoms, five years from now, would they still have it?

KL-666

Postby KL-666 » Fri Dec 02, 2016 6:36 pm

Here are the slices of Swiss cheese of which all the holes lined up, as far as i have got now. Acting different on any of these occasions could have prevented this disaster.

1) The flight plan contained equal flight time and endurance. Meaning they planned to land on fumes. The person taking in the flight plan made remarks about that, but had not the authority to overrule the person from the airline filing the plan.

2) At 30 minutes fuel left, alarms go off and an emergency must be declared. A landing must be done at the nearest airport (you need those 30 minutes for a landing from cruise). 30 minutes before flame out they were above Bogota, but they ignored the alarm.

3) Arriving at Medellin they accept a holding, instead of declaring an emergency (which they already should have done 20 minutes ago btw.)

4) When they leave the holding, they dive for 10.000 ft at VOR RNG (as published on the charts for planes that land with engines on). Not really a good idea to do if you know you may loose your engines. Better be a bit high at RNG in case you need to glide. You can always do the diving on final.

Kind regards, Vincent

IAHM-COL

Postby IAHM-COL » Fri Dec 02, 2016 6:50 pm

+1 KL666
I have very similar interpretation

I feel somehow disturbed by it, because it has rather strong criticism to the PIC, and I feel I preffer remain uncertain until Black Boxes data come clear out.

(I emailed you, btw :D)

[edit]
One quick parentheses. It is clear that the event unfolded on the unfortunate situation that another A320 was making an unscheduled priority landing on SKRG, with fuel leakeage. Forcing the ultimately fatal hold.

I agree with you, the pilot could have called immediate emergency for fuel exhaustion instead of entering hold first.
[/edit]
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/IAHM-COL/gpg-pubkey/master/pubkey.asc

R.M.S.
If we gave everybody in the World free software today, but we failed to teach them about the four freedoms, five years from now, would they still have it?

KL-666

Postby KL-666 » Mon Dec 05, 2016 1:30 pm

The officer taking in the flight plan is being charged now.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/bolivia-files-a-criminal-complaint-in-fatal-colombia-crash-1480904874

This is really odd, as that same officer protested the flight plan vehemently with the person of the airline filing it. If the officer had any authority to reject the flight plan, i am pretty sure she would have.

So what is wrong here? The organization the officer works for, not giving her the authority to reject flight plans. Who is responsible for that? The top of the organization.

This officer should not be a suspect in this case, but a witness to lay bare the things that are badly organized. Is this the beginning of the Bolivian authorities starting a cover up operation, scapegoating small fish who are victim themselves of at best badly organized and at worst corrupt institutions?

This way nothing will get better organized following this accident. Then it is only a question of time for the next accident to happen.

Kind regards, Vincent

SHM

Postby SHM » Mon Dec 05, 2016 3:01 pm

FG Pilot (2011-2018)
Prepar3d (2015 - 2023)
MSFS2020 (2020 - )

Return to “Real life flying”