Re: A jolly day at the office

Postby Octal450 » Sun Sep 11, 2016 4:11 am

I really like the current MD-11 Flightdeck:

Big readable displays, etc

jwocky
Site Admin

Postby jwocky » Sun Sep 11, 2016 3:56 pm

Don't you hate that? And no Kinder surprise eggs in the US because there are little toys in it. Duh!
Free speech can never be achieved by dictatorial measures!

KL-666

Postby KL-666 » Sun Sep 11, 2016 4:07 pm

The protectiveness towards children is getting quite ludicrous here too. In the car they are strapped in baby seats until maybe 10 years. In my time we had not even heard of seat belts, and dad was chain smoking up front. I still live.

Kind regards, Vincent

jwocky
Site Admin

Postby jwocky » Sun Sep 11, 2016 4:13 pm

Well, the same guys supported genetically manipulated baby food ... so it all comes down to who pays whom, I guess.

LesterBoffo

Postby LesterBoffo » Sun Sep 11, 2016 6:09 pm

I miss the offers you could get by sending in the box tops off General Mills cereal. My first model airplane kit came from a bunch of box tops. A Cessna 150 with a propeller that was powered by a couple AA cells. Not enough thrust to even blow away a fly. I was disappointed, the box images had it flying off the table.

jwocky
Site Admin

Postby jwocky » Mon Sep 12, 2016 1:22 am

I think, they don't do that anymore, even kids are nowadays too tech savvy to fall for it.

HJ1an

Postby HJ1an » Mon Sep 12, 2016 3:46 am

jwocky wrote:Don't you hate that? And no Kinder surprise eggs in the US because there are little toys in it. Duh!

Really? Well the prices weren't really worth the chocolate AND the toy itself anyway.

KL-666 wrote:The protectiveness towards children is getting quite ludicrous here too. In the car they are strapped in baby seats until maybe 10 years. In my time we had not even heard of seat belts, and dad was chain smoking up front. I still live.

Those kids who didn't survive wearing no seat belts are dead and obviously can't tell about it. If you were to compare survival rates for children they are probably much better these days. So there is a bit of survivor bias at play here. Well, in my neck of woods, kids were sleeping right on the dashboard where the airbag is. Resulting news like this.

Of course, that is an extreme case. That said, I also survived not wearing seat belts or child seats, because fortunately, coming from a place with some of the highest accident rates in the world, my family and I are fortunate not to encounter these terrible things that befall others, and I hope to not encounter it in the future. And by the way, my grandfather chain smoked throughout his whole life, starting around his early teens.... he lived on well to his 90s. but I'm not about to start doing that - I get enough daily particulate dosage from the air we breath.

Back on topic, I suspect that the systems on the Airbus are designed so in case the magnetic poles started drifting away again you'd be able to artificially pinpoint where you are based on a GPS North. But obviously there are going to be problems with it such as the one in the news.

Return to “Real life flying”