Re: How not to land in x-wind

Postby Lydiot » Wed May 25, 2016 2:39 am

How not to land in x-wing

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

HJ1an

Postby HJ1an » Wed May 25, 2016 2:42 am

LOL.

You know, I always thought Han Solo was the better pilot. (Doubly confirmed in SW7 during that infiltration) Luke was described as an extremely good pilot in some literatures, but he certainly wasn't depicted as such in movies. He was also very whiney in the first and second movies.

IAHM-COL

Postby IAHM-COL » Wed May 25, 2016 3:47 am

Lydiot.
You made me loose breath for a good minute. Seriously.
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/IAHM-COL/gpg-pubkey/master/pubkey.asc

R.M.S.
If we gave everybody in the World free software today, but we failed to teach them about the four freedoms, five years from now, would they still have it?

Octal450

Postby Octal450 » Wed May 25, 2016 4:55 am

I just did a landing with 19kt of x-wind at LSZS. It was hard, but with proper technique, I *eventually* got it!

IAHM-COL

Postby IAHM-COL » Wed May 25, 2016 5:16 am

what plane you rolled-down?

R.M.S.
If we gave everybody in the World free software today, but we failed to teach them about the four freedoms, five years from now, would they still have it?

Lydiot

Postby Lydiot » Wed May 25, 2016 6:10 am

IAHM-COL wrote:Lydiot.
You made me loose breath for a good minute. Seriously.

I have my moments (?).....

HJ1an wrote:LOL.

You know, I always thought Han Solo was the better pilot. (Doubly confirmed in SW7 during that infiltration)

Uhm.... SW7 was/is an abomination. Having said that I probably agree that Han was better.

IAHM-COL wrote:He was also very whiney in the first and second movies.

Agreed. Thus very much not a Marty-Stu, thank god....

And sorry for the off-topic posting... just couldn't help myself.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

KL-666

Postby KL-666 » Wed May 25, 2016 10:14 am

That is the spirit of a true aviator, it0uchpods. Learn from the mistakes others already made for you.

This is also the reason why accident reports are so thorough and take a year. They do not stop at: We got the cause. No, they continue until they have every little contributing factor leading to the cause they can find. Also called the lining up of the holes in the Swiss cheese. (Imagine unaligned slices of Swiss cheese, lining up and start to show a gaping hole).

Pilots who do not want to die, read those reports and mentally prepare to recognize in an early stage the contributing factors stacking up against them. And good airlines make their training program designers read the reports, to include such stack-ups of the contributing factors in the training.

Sadly there are also too many pilots that just pull the door behind them, after a day at the office being fully on autopilot all day. This mentality also has to do with training. If you are not encouraged to want to know every little detail of your job, you are probably not going to do it yourself.

Just one more little rant of me: Television programs, like Air Crash Investigation, tend to pick out the most sensational contributing factor, and blow it up enormously out of proportions and out of context. Leaving the public with a completely wrong picture of what really happened. Never rely on such programs, but read the reports.

Kind regards, Vincent

Octal450

Postby Octal450 » Wed May 25, 2016 3:31 pm

@IAHM-COL
Plane was of course my beloved MD-11 :D

LesterBoffo

Postby LesterBoffo » Wed May 25, 2016 4:50 pm

Depending on your dynamic wheel friction points, as you touchdown in a crosswind, the lateral drift will have your plane yawing at a variable angle. Which as the wheels touch runway cause a sideways lurch. Image

So, you will need to kick in a little left or right rudder just in time to align the aircraft's nose with the runway, (Joysticks with rudder controls..) and get settled in without scurrying wildly... Image about the runway.

IAHM-COL

Postby IAHM-COL » Wed May 25, 2016 5:15 pm

IAHM-COL wrote:what plane you rolled-down?

Now that's a babe you need some skill at to cross-wind safely to TDZ.

R.M.S.

Return to “Real life flying”