How not to land in x-wind

Talk about flying in real life
KL-666

How not to land in x-wind

Postby KL-666 » Tue May 24, 2016 4:54 pm

With x-wind the windward wing wants to lift. You counter that with constant aileron into the wind after touchdown. Yet this pilot relaxes the aileron several times, letting the windward wing lift.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OoK_dbLDfA0

Kind regards, Vincent

jwocky
Site Admin

Re: How not to land in x-wind

Postby jwocky » Tue May 24, 2016 6:38 pm

Oh, that was what it was ... looked like he was flying FG with an ageing Logitech Extreme3D without dead-band setting ...
Free speech can never be achieved by dictatorial measures!

SHM

Postby SHM » Tue May 24, 2016 6:41 pm

Looks like boeing pilots also dont know to fly :|
FG Pilot (2011-2018)
Prepar3d (2015 - 2023)
MSFS2020 (2020 - )

IAHM-COL

Postby IAHM-COL » Tue May 24, 2016 7:24 pm

SHM wrote:Looks like boeing pilots also dont know to fly :|

:P
Funny,
Well, yet another Korean Boeing? Pattern looking @JWocky?

I agree with JWocky. That landing exemplifies very well my maneuvers in the best days. :oops: :oops:

In any case, thanks for sharing KL. I betcha those passenger had a bumpy ride.

IH-COL
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/IAHM-COL/gpg-pubkey/master/pubkey.asc

R.M.S.
If we gave everybody in the World free software today, but we failed to teach them about the four freedoms, five years from now, would they still have it?

jwocky
Site Admin

Postby jwocky » Tue May 24, 2016 8:34 pm

The press released their names as Ho Lee Fuk and Sum Sing Wrung?
Free speech can never be achieved by dictatorial measures!

KL-666

Postby KL-666 » Tue May 24, 2016 8:53 pm

Though those names have a good sound about them, we may consider a bit restraint in using them all the time. It may be hurtful for some people. Yet it is undeniably true that there is an issue with training in Asia, more than in some other parts of the world. To me the problems in Asia really start to get alarming. It is not only affecting Airbus pilots, but also Boeing pilots. Asiana in ksfo is really not the only occurrence of weird lack of training.

Kind regards, Vincent

IAHM-COL

Postby IAHM-COL » Tue May 24, 2016 9:03 pm

:)
The question really stands: Who is to be really offended by those funny names.

I'd agree there is something that could be considered blatantly racist about them. But here is the thing: The U.S Press (specially TV versions) were so eager to have last-min information, that they felt in the usual trap of never verifying information before shooting out loud as veritable, and valid.

Someone joked on the press with those silly names (with an attempt to sound Asian-name like), and the 24h news channels promptly ping those back.

It left a trace of "how much thought" is put on those fastly transmitted -onthespot- type of news.

That's where the offense, I think, really reside.

And also, offensive, to the public that is treated with that much disregard to personal intelligence by those same channels

It's really, hilarious, and offensive -- but in unpredictable ways.
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/IAHM-COL/gpg-pubkey/master/pubkey.asc

R.M.S.
If we gave everybody in the World free software today, but we failed to teach them about the four freedoms, five years from now, would they still have it?

KL-666

Postby KL-666 » Tue May 24, 2016 9:47 pm

The news repeating those names in all earnest was hilarious. Proving my point that news in the early stages after a crash is second to utterly useless to build theories on.

Kind regards, Vincent

HJ1an

Postby HJ1an » Wed May 25, 2016 2:18 am

KL-666 wrote:Though those names have a good sound about them, we may consider a bit restraint in using them all the time. It may be hurtful for some people. Yet it is undeniably true that there is an issue with training in Asia, more than in some other parts of the world. To me the problems in Asia really start to get alarming. It is not only affecting Airbus pilots, but also Boeing pilots. Asiana in ksfo is really not the only occurrence of weird lack of training.

The culture in Korea, mainly to blame. Kowtowing and shutting up in presence of an elder or superior is norm. This is an actual known thing in aviation, and particularly bad in the 80s/90s. In the case of Asiana at KSFO, when asked, why wasn't the pilot wearing sunglasses when allegedly he was distracted by reflections or whatever, his reply was "sunglasses is not polite" (in presence of a third, more senior check pilot).

The rest of us in Asia have no problem getting past this at all. (I have no problem raising any issue or correcting my superior or elders - should it be within reason - and this is when I first got my job, they were overall pretty cool with it and growing up I wasn't raised to be a robot kowtowing to elders. Surely, there was a lot more learning and taking instructions due to inexperience, but there isn't pressure to say yes all the time, or shut up when finding an issue. But, that is not to say there isn't any problems like this, but it was not as bad in my part of Asia. Politically, however, is another story together.)

HJ1an

Postby HJ1an » Wed May 25, 2016 2:34 am

IAHM-COL wrote::)
The question really stands: Who is to be really offended by those funny names.

I'd agree there is something that could be considered blatantly racist about them. But here is the thing: The U.S Press (specially TV versions) were so eager to have last-min information, that they felt in the usual trap of never verifying information before shooting out loud as veritable, and valid.

Someone joked on the press with those silly names (with an attempt to sound Asian-name like), and the 24h news channels promptly ping those back.

It left a trace of "how much thought" is put on those fastly transmitted -onthespot- type of news.

That's where the offense, I think, really reside.

And also, offensive, to the public that is treated with that much disregard to personal intelligence by those same channels

It's really, hilarious, and offensive -- but in unpredictable ways.

We used to write essays in school using imagined names like Chew Wing Gam and other names that mean something else in other languages. Similarly the "Fook Mee and Fook Yoo" in Austin Powers movies. It was funny, and we're all alright with it. There are even instances where names are registered on the birth cert in seemingly curse words, like that unfortunate Vietnamese whose parents named him "Phuc Dat Bich".

Plus, those names aren't racist at all.. it's just a joke with very poor taste when broadcast to the public. Similarly, using Westerny names like "Betteman" or "Master Bates" or "Meet the Fokkers". Only can be used at appropriate times - certainly not when it involves people dying or getting hurt.

It's not like we were denying the Asians to fly airplanes or anything due to racial profiling. THAT would be racist.

Return to “Real life flying”