Sleeping on a plane

Talk about flying in real life
HJ1an

Sleeping on a plane

Postby HJ1an » Tue Apr 26, 2016 6:07 am

My recent trip to Singapore was uneventful, in fact it was a very smooth ride all the way, and even arriving early. The trip back was arrived half hour late, but otherwise as smooth and good. (Wind direction, probably)

Bobbing A320s aside, I think it was far better than any of my previous flights in the past 5 years (no shouty, demanding flight attendants and no annoying passengers that jam their baggage into your head or bags in the overhead. Even the pilot came on to say the typical things like the speed and which direction what landmass is etc, something that never happens on my previous AirAsia flights (?). Even none of the flying in whiteout cloud covers, with view of the horizon and ground very clear. No rainstorm, turbulance, etc. In retrospect, very enjoyable flight, probably the best I had experienced in a while.)

Just something I realized on this particular trip that I don't recall from any of my previous ones. I don't think I can ever sleep on both flights even as how perfect they seem.. every time I get really tired and was about to sleep, it sounds to me as if the engines suddenly went off.. this caused me to become alert again and then I opened my eyes and everything sounded as normal. Maybe it's an age thing? Well - just my strange observation.

jwocky
Site Admin

Re: Sleeping on a plane

Postby jwocky » Tue Apr 26, 2016 4:23 pm

I can't sleep on planes. It just doesn't work for me. But then, I am too busy to claw my hands in the armrests anyway ...
Free speech can never be achieved by dictatorial measures!

IAHM-COL

Postby IAHM-COL » Tue Apr 26, 2016 4:32 pm

Contrastingly, I love redeyes.
I sleep all night with the turbulence rocking and the engines lullabies.
I arrive after a full night rest :D

(sure... give me window seat, cause the fuselage is my pillow, and I LOVE to gaze take off and landing.
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/IAHM-COL/gpg-pubkey/master/pubkey.asc

R.M.S.
If we gave everybody in the World free software today, but we failed to teach them about the four freedoms, five years from now, would they still have it?

jwocky
Site Admin

Postby jwocky » Tue Apr 26, 2016 4:35 pm

I was in a plane, domestic flight in Germany and next to me sat this guy, 25 years or so private pilot's license and telling jokes like "you know, they all come down eventually" while we flew through a thunderstorm front. I so would have liked to strangle him, but I didn't dare to take my claws out of the armrest ...

IAHM-COL

Postby IAHM-COL » Tue Apr 26, 2016 4:38 pm

easy Jujub-bird.
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/IAHM-COL/gpg-pubkey/master/pubkey.asc

R.M.S.
If we gave everybody in the World free software today, but we failed to teach them about the four freedoms, five years from now, would they still have it?

jwocky
Site Admin

Postby jwocky » Tue Apr 26, 2016 5:12 pm

Nowadays, since I can't smoke on planes anymore and some militant anti-smokers jump me even for chewing a nicotine gum from time to time, flying is hard on my nerves. Maybe I need my own plane?

legoboyvdlp

Postby legoboyvdlp » Tue Apr 26, 2016 7:07 pm

Do you have $261.5 million for a nice little 777-200ER? :)

As for sleeping, well, I usually can, but usually, I am too busy looking out the window. At night, I prefer to stay up and sleep at my destination.
~~Legoboyvdlp~~
Maiquetia / Venezuela Custom Scenery
Hallo! Ich bin Jonathan.
Hey!
Avatar created by InSapphoWeTrust CC BY-SA 2.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.p ... d=27409879

jwocky
Site Admin

Postby jwocky » Tue Apr 26, 2016 9:16 pm

Alas no, not even $50 million for a Lineage 1000E ... that sucks!

legoboyvdlp

Postby legoboyvdlp » Tue Apr 26, 2016 9:31 pm

A Cessna 152 is $19,000 -- rather expensive!
~~Legoboyvdlp~~
Maiquetia / Venezuela Custom Scenery
Hallo! Ich bin Jonathan.
Hey!
Avatar created by InSapphoWeTrust CC BY-SA 2.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.p ... d=27409879

jwocky
Site Admin

Postby jwocky » Tue Apr 26, 2016 9:51 pm

my wife would so kill me, she doesn't trust propeller planes ;-) And of course, when I'm the pilot, the question whether I can sleep on the flight is quite an iffy one.

Return to “Real life flying”