Just another standard Asian landing

Talk about flying in real life
KL-666

Just another standard Asian landing

Postby KL-666 » Thu Mar 10, 2016 12:48 am

Had a hilarious 45 minutes with Aircrash Investigation. They went on and on about: is it this, or is it that, always ending in a dead end. Because in reality it was just another standard Asian landing. After half an hour the silly Aircrash Investigation starts to find out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1csgfd8vmw&list=PLZdq7QvypVHdjZwLS7OT8p8fm6Pmi38TR&index=8

Kind regards, Vincent

Octal450

Re: Just another standard Asian landing

Postby Octal450 » Thu Mar 10, 2016 1:35 pm

KL-666 wrote:Had a hilarious 45 minutes with Aircrash Investigation. They went on and on about: is it this, or is it that, always ending in a dead end. Because in reality it was just another standard Asian landing. After half an hour the silly Aircrash Investigation starts to find out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1csgfd8vmw&list=PLZdq7QvypVHdjZwLS7OT8p8fm6Pmi38TR&index=8

Kind regards, Vincent

Thank you! This brought funny to my day as well!

HJ1an

Postby HJ1an » Sat Mar 19, 2016 7:14 am

Bear in mind, I didn't finish the whole show.

Isn't this the one where the captain was given incentive for saving fuel, as a result he landed without a proper landing configuration (which he had done once before) which resulted in landing a far too fast?

KL-666

Postby KL-666 » Sat Mar 19, 2016 11:44 am

Hi HJ1an,

You touch exactly the reason why i find that Aircrash Investigation is misleading the public. They pick a very insignificant passage out of a report, and blow it up as if it is a major factor in the crash. Fuel efficiency was indeed mentioned in the report as a guess to why the captain pushed this landing through. But it is nothing but a guess, without any proof.

The real reason for this crash was that the pilots were not trained to handle any situation beyond auto flight. They found themselves slightly high on approach, and solved the problem by diving down regardless of increasing airspeed. Kind of the logic of a newbie in flightgear.

ASN gives a better description of the facts:

https://aviation-safety.net/database/record.php?id=20070307-0

Kind regards, Vincent

HJ1an

Postby HJ1an » Sat Mar 19, 2016 2:47 pm

I havent actually watched this documentary prior to my post, (i was at work) but i have read about this incident before. It seemed familiar enough. In the article the main point being driven is that Garuda were trading fuel efficiency for safety, ie the incentive to land faster without a go around.

Now that i have actually watched this episode, yeah the communication is poor, and the landing even more so. TV shows purpose is to dramatize any incident anyway..

P.s. Garuda's record was truly terrible even by 'asian' standards. (Same thing with Korean air).

Return to “Real life flying”