Imagine, it is night

Talk about flying in real life
jwocky
Site Admin

Imagine, it is night

Postby jwocky » Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:49 pm

Imagine, it is late evening, you are delayed, night is about to fall and you are headed for Kansas City ... so, KMCI, aside of being hampered by the reconstruction currently, has only emergency services at night. KMKC (Wheeler) operates only sunrise to sunset. St. Joes is too small for anything but the evasive Honda-Jet, Wichita is already somewhat away and operates also only during the day. I guess, if you pretend you, have a real problem, they let you land on one of the military bases, but hummm ... is here really no airport with night operation around for business jet size planes for example? Or am I only too stupid to find one?
Free speech can never be achieved by dictatorial measures!

Omega

Re: Imagine, it is night

Postby Omega » Wed Jul 05, 2017 12:36 am

MKC tower operates 24/7; you may have confused that with the rotating beacon which operates sunset-sunrise (just like most other airports). STJ has an 8000' runway, more than enough to handle any type of business jet. Many of them do in fact land there, such as the Hawker 4000 and Falcon 2000. ICT is a class C airport, which means that it operates continuously.

jwocky
Site Admin

Postby jwocky » Wed Jul 05, 2017 12:55 am

okay, I confused the beacon time with the airport time. I had this terrible idea you sit in a jet, come home, be a hour late and they don't let you land anywhere. Thanks for clearing that up.
Free speech can never be achieved by dictatorial measures!

HJ1an

Postby HJ1an » Fri Jul 07, 2017 6:07 am

I had this thinking that in the US you've so much options to land as in flight sims just looking down you see airfields/airports everywhere during an emergency.

In my neck of woods, there's no really much choice, it's either a runway about every 300m apart, or trees / rivers /sea.

I thought all major airports operate 24/7?

Return to “Real life flying”