A new Flight Simulator

Talking about the core development, vent steam ... censoring free but no guarantee, "they" will listen.
OPFOR23

Re: A new Flight Simulator

Postby OPFOR23 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:33 am

Another thing I would say is, if this project actually gets realized, keep it as current with current technology as you can, and don't be afraid of 3D formats like 3DS, FBX, AC3D, etc. PLY is not going to cut it IMO, it's not even for the purpose you intend to use it for. PLY was meant for scanning of objects and 3D printing. Best you read up on the 3D world so you understand how much of a disadvantage your putting your project in by disregarding all proprietary formats. Your inhibiting content developers who wish to use those formats by not doing so. Is proprietary default evil, nope. The fundamental problem with evil in this world is evil that exists within us, not the stuff that we use. We own what we make, even with open source. Don't restrict content developers to GPL, your restricting the rights of the content developers themselves to license their content how they see fit, thus subtracting freedom. Make sure that the API can be used to make proprietary aircraft. PBR and HDR lighting should be on the list. If you want people to stick with the simulator, you have to compete with the other guys. Good luck with the project and I hope it gets somewhere positive.

bomber

Postby bomber » Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:57 pm

I echo those opinions OPFOR23 ......

By all means use GPL for the core of the flightsim but allow content, planes, ships, rail and terrain authors the freedom to control their own work... Whilst allowing the user the freedom to have the best flight sim experience as they see fit.

If this is done correctly then sim moders will come.

Been too busy at work today, will get started on a diagram tonorrow... Bare in mind it's going to start very simple so as others can have their input on an easy to understand concept.
"If anyone ever tells you anything about an aeroplane which is so bloody complicated you can't understand it, take it from me - it's all balls" - R J Mitchell

bomber

Postby bomber » Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:22 pm

"If anyone ever tells you anything about an aeroplane which is so bloody complicated you can't understand it, take it from me - it's all balls" - R J Mitchell

N3266G

Postby N3266G » Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:04 pm

bomber wrote:https://drive.google.com/open?id=1PnKv5cLRzox3M1VX-xTAqGr6J46sOxOb

What is?^^^
Image Image

bomber

Postby bomber » Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:35 pm

Is it not viewable ?

N3266G

Postby N3266G » Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:32 pm

I don't open links to places where its obscure of the destination.
Image Image

bomber

Postby bomber » Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:02 pm

It's just a power point slide shared from my Google drive.

IAHM-COL

Postby IAHM-COL » Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:18 pm

I see it fine. I'll write a post later.
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/IAHM-COL/gpg-pubkey/master/pubkey.asc

R.M.S.
If we gave everybody in the World free software today, but we failed to teach them about the four freedoms, five years from now, would they still have it?

Richard

Postby Richard » Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:19 pm

This is just a quick sketch that I put together. This does not mean that I'm volunteering to work on this because I'm not; it's easy and quick to draw one of these but it represents tens of thousands of hours work to build it.

All of the boxes, even the models probably have multiple components within them; effectively each box is a standalone system.

All of these processes are connected via some sort of bus, which could be shared memory, UDP/IP, named pipes, etc. All of it, except the visual system is managed by the real time executive; this is the heart of the simulation as it will orchestrate and manage each of the system. Where the systems are in separate processes there may be multiple RTEX components in each process talking to each other.

The only place for 3d models is inside the visual database; equally sound models live within the sound database. Part of installing a model would require the relevant content models to be installed into the relevant database. The visual system (i.e. rendering engine) itself could be spread across multiple processes or computers, each with either a shared connection to the visual database or a synchronised copy of the visual database. Inside the model itself would be just the logic and data required to perform the model simulation.

The whole thing hangs together on the basis of well defined interfaces (in the object oriented sense) on the each of the components

bomber

Postby bomber » Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:30 pm

I give up.......

Let me just say this one thing tho....

Any fool can make a complicated diagram, making an easy to understand one, now that's a challenge

Return to “Core Development”