Fokker DR.1

Everything in connection with developing aircraft for FlightGear
jwocky
Site Admin

Re: Fokker DR.1

Postby jwocky » Sat Nov 12, 2016 10:17 pm

Yeah, she does fine. I understand the concept of a coupe switch (aka blip switch). Still, for reasons of fly-ability for the normal FG pilot, I left her on throttle. She makes currently the 100 knots max speed over ground and the initial climb is still a little short of the 2200f/s, but it still feels like going up in an elevator, so good enough for me.
The reasons why I got out the fkdr1 instead of your non-gpl version are simple: It was there, it sucked, it cried for help. Still, I admit, I don't aim here that much for the absolute historical authenticity, more like an entry drug into WWI planes for not so proficient FG pilots.
Free speech can never be achieved by dictatorial measures!

LesterBoffo

Postby LesterBoffo » Sun Nov 13, 2016 8:28 pm

Well if it works that's good. Are you sure there's a precedent for a 2200 fpm climb rate? You might want to join The Aerodrome Forum and ask some DRI experts about it's capabilities. http://www.theaerodrome.com/forum/index.php There are a couple replica DRI's that still run LeRhone rotary engines and are being flown, and their builders talk about these aircraft.

jwocky
Site Admin

Postby jwocky » Mon Nov 14, 2016 3:50 am

Yes, the 2200fpm is a thing, that really makes me a bit suspicious. I looked on several forums, but sorry, my time barely allows me to be active here from time to time, so I don't join them. I also looked in some books (my hand library is kind of wild), and actually several sources mention 2200 fpm but in regard with replicas while other sources, nearer to the origianl use just words like "superior", "amazing and "awesome" for her climbing abilities. So what the hell is "awesome" in feet per minute please?
The current model makes, if you have a good wind in your face aboutish 1800 fpm right after take-off which I feel is more than generous for a plane of that era and it flies like a charm. So ... yeah ... what shall I say?

LesterBoffo

Postby LesterBoffo » Mon Nov 14, 2016 6:52 pm

A lot of time the climb rate of fighters from WWI was expressed in altitude levels that could be attained in so many minutes. Like 9000' in 15 minutes or such. The Fighter Squadron-WWI DRI has about a 1600 ~ 1800 fpm climb, the DRI from Targetware can't make over 1200 fpm. From what I read it's optimum climb as always at about 90 to 100 KPH which is why it fell out of favor. it just couldn't run away from SE5a's and SPAD VII's and XIII's with their 180 to 220 hp V8 Hissos and Wolseley Vipers.

jwocky
Site Admin

Postby jwocky » Tue Nov 15, 2016 4:30 pm

I guess, it couldn't run from anything. Max speed100 knots over ground. And the maneuverability is nice, if you dance with one, but if you tangle with two enemy planes, you're cat food. So, after compensating for a short time for the surprise success of the Tripes, she was not only engine-wise behind but also tactically outdated and since the circumstances of war had yet changed again (bigger numbers of Entente planes than German planes in the skies, more AA on the ground on both sides with increasing accuracy and for the Germans lack of supplies, especially the Castor oil for the LeRhones/U2 engines), she was basically out. I mean, technically, this how Germany lost two world wars, by not adapting fast enough to the changing conditions of war.

LesterBoffo

Postby LesterBoffo » Tue Nov 15, 2016 7:18 pm

jwocky wrote:I guess, it couldn't run from anything. Max speed100 knots over ground. And the maneuverability is nice, if you dance with one, but if you tangle with two enemy planes, you're cat food. So, after compensating for a short time for the surprise success of the Tripes, she was not only engine-wise behind but also tactically outdated and since the circumstances of war had yet changed again (bigger numbers of Entente planes than German planes in the skies, more AA on the ground on both sides with increasing accuracy and for the Germans lack of supplies, especially the Castor oil for the LeRhones/U2 engines), she was basically out. I mean, technically, this how Germany lost two world wars, by not adapting fast enough to the changing conditions of war.

What the tripe did best at was stalking and surprise attacking slower Allied two-seaters. They would hide in the clouds and pop out the bottom on top of the observers, riddle them. and then take the escalator back up. You heard about the bounty offered of a case of Champagne for any Allied plane with an intact LeRhone 9J recovered from their crash or ditching.

jwocky
Site Admin

Postby jwocky » Wed Nov 16, 2016 8:27 pm

Yep, they had really some problems late in the war. Not enough materials to build engines, not enough castor oil to run them. Not enough food to keep people alive often. WW1 was a merciless starvation war aimed at the civilian population, but it hit of course also the military.

Return to “Aircraft Development”