Beagle Pup experiment

Everything in connection with developing aircraft for FlightGear
bomber

Re: Beagle Pup experiment

Postby bomber » Sun Nov 27, 2016 4:14 pm

Having trouble sending you the docs as it has a rather large spreadsheet in it

It's not the size it's something else.... just wont send it. mmmmmm
"If anyone ever tells you anything about an aeroplane which is so bloody complicated you can't understand it, take it from me - it's all balls" - R J Mitchell

IAHM-COL

Postby IAHM-COL » Sun Nov 27, 2016 4:36 pm

I was wondering....
I've got the zip with updated files.
I'll push that for now.

Maybe dropbox or google drive link?
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/IAHM-COL/gpg-pubkey/master/pubkey.asc

R.M.S.
If we gave everybody in the World free software today, but we failed to teach them about the four freedoms, five years from now, would they still have it?

bomber

Postby bomber » Sun Nov 27, 2016 4:38 pm

Ok Guys when you get my new version I'd like you to perform a 10k 50kts spawn (engines off) on all 3 planes...

Then I'd like you to spin MY plane.... here's the thing, if it looks like a spin to you and you can get out of it by centering your controls (5 on the keypad) it aint a spin.... It's just that you've never ever experienced a spin in a flight sim before and so you have little experience...

Learn to spin a plane.... it's easy just be real rough with the controls at the point that the plane stalls..... I'm sure there's more to it that that but it works for me :)

first one that gets a video out of this.... gets to have some serious hits on their you tube channel.

Simon
"If anyone ever tells you anything about an aeroplane which is so bloody complicated you can't understand it, take it from me - it's all balls" - R J Mitchell

bomber

Postby bomber » Sun Nov 27, 2016 4:39 pm

ooooh google drive.... yes I have that !

I gota go walk the dog, so sees ya latter.

Simon

IAHM-COL

Postby IAHM-COL » Sun Nov 27, 2016 4:42 pm

R.M.S.
If we gave everybody in the World free software today, but we failed to teach them about the four freedoms, five years from now, would they still have it?

IAHM-COL

Postby IAHM-COL » Sun Nov 27, 2016 6:10 pm

tried a couple of times to spin the beagle.
Only the first trial looks plausible. (mostly, prob. pilot problem, not aircraft)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4krviqd3oglQXpXeW1GSUwwUXc/view?usp=sharing

It does recover very good from stall. I say on that feature it exceeds G-SHOZ'

R.M.S.

KL-666

Postby KL-666 » Sun Nov 27, 2016 6:56 pm

The new Bomber is pretty close to the new Sanhozay model in flight behaviour. Bomber's is just slightly more edgy i would say, but it is a hardly noticeable difference.

Just 2 things with Bomber's version:

1) Shallow climb (less than 500 ft/min) could not produce speed after take-off. Engine under powered? Drag too much at a slight pitch up?

2) Full flaps really makes the plane too much nose-down. At 50 kts the nose wheel was still well below the main gear. Touched down with stall and barely made a 3 wheel touch down. I think at near stall (50 kts) the nose wheel should be well above the main gear.

Kind regards, Vincent

bomber

Postby bomber » Sun Nov 27, 2016 7:16 pm

Start from 10k then try...

You're stalling and going into incipient spin.... allow the plane to go into a developed spin.

You'll know the difference.

Simon

IAHM-COL

Postby IAHM-COL » Sun Nov 27, 2016 8:02 pm

@bomber: Nice JOB! 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) :mrgreen: :ugeek: :ugeek:

OK

bomber wrote:Ok Guys when you get my new version I'd like you to perform a 10k 50kts spawn (engines off) on all 3 2 free planes...

I went and completed your 10000 ft no engines test.
The difference between your model and G-SHOZ is absolute

The behavior in both planes is exactly as you've described. Your plane gains speed on dive, which causes it to reach Vs, and thus starts gliding into stable path. Someone once said (something along the lines) that aircrafts want to fly. Bomber's Pup certainly follow that directrix. once the plane gets on a gliding attitude it stabilizes the IAS to around 75 KTS and keeps a rather comfortable gliding descent to .. .basically... landing itself (about 15min and 15nm later).

Bomber's free fall

The behavior of G-SHOZ is an immediate spiralling down. After a few seconds the simulator aborts on "crashed plane" or some alike. it seems G-SHOZ added a subroutine that mimics the "you've lost a wing" situation, cause I certainly hit nothing at 10000 feet with no traffic to collide with.
Anyhow, the plane started to dive really badly, and clearly was not trying to recover or glide. Not a plane wanting to fly. It wanted to look for some ground instead.

Sanhozay's free fall

About the third plane. Sorry bomber, clearly I am not flying testing and helping develop Richard's private property.

It goes against what it should be correct. If you guys want me to WORK developing/testing/etc someone else private property and copyrighted material, then it should be done the correct way. First, Mr. Harrison needs to get contractual with me, follow by him pull out his checkbook and writing me a sizeable note. So, then, contractually he buys my time, and what I produce can be written off for his property.

R.M.S.

sanhozay

Postby sanhozay » Sun Nov 27, 2016 8:17 pm

IAHM-COL wrote:it seems G-SHOZ added a subroutine that mimics the "you've lost a wing" situation, cause I certainly hit nothing at 10000 feet with no traffic to collide with.

Part of the crash detection system listens for extreme G forces, something I adapted from Hvengel's P51D. It's not simulating damage, just detecting impact and extreme acceleration. Are you pressing Ctrl-U repeatedly to get up to 10000ft? That might be triggering the crash detection because the altitude changes so quickly? If you want to try the glide test, use Location - Position Aircraft in Air. It should glide, although it may not do so in a straight line.

Return to “Aircraft Development”