KC-137R family project

Everything in connection with developing aircraft for FlightGear
themadgreek

Re: KC-137R family project

Postby themadgreek » Mon Nov 28, 2016 3:57 pm

J Maverick 16 wrote:I forked my project from another fork of the original 707 which was just the basic 707TT with CFM LEAP-X engines.

Yep, that would be my repo. It's also referenced in the first few (3?) posts of this thread when COL linked to it. Though the engines (and engine struts) are one of the only visible changes there were a lot of internal changes too.

Almost all of the current liveries on the KC-137R, still include the double-lined "face" I did which stems from here: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/64/KC-135_100th_Air_Refueling_Wing.jpg unless you re-did that yourselves (?), in which case I am mistaken.

Also, interestingly, you forked my repo but then copied it into a new repo with a new init commit, thereby eliminating the commits from my repo :? which I don't 100% understand but whatever. https://github.com/JMaverick16/KC

Anyways, as I said you have no obligation to give me, or firefly, or the other people that helped on the improvements from that time any credit, just like I could copy the current repo, remove your names (and commits) and put mine on the splash screen and submit it to the fgaddon (which I'm not going to do, just making a point). This is one of the great parts of open source!

Though you have no obligation, it would be nice. And yes while there is no need to credit LoC (see above) I wouldn't assume everyone automatically knows where the model came from, especially new members of the community. One benefit of giving credit, is specifically that the new members will have a change to discover that hangar and the really nice other models they make. This is a very small "price" to pay for the years those original developers put into it.

Keep up the great work, I look forward to all the improvements you guys will make in the future. Please don't take my comments as criticism, I am really happy that this project is moving forward as I have a great deal of love for that plane. Maybe in the future if I have some time (unlikely :cry: ) I will contribute to it again.

Octal450

Postby Octal450 » Mon Nov 28, 2016 4:08 pm

Yup. Most files still say LoC hanger at the top ;)

The rest is work done by JMaverick16 and I.

J Maverick 16

Postby J Maverick 16 » Mon Nov 28, 2016 6:46 pm

themadgreek wrote:Yep, that would be my repo. It's also referenced in the first few (3?) posts of this thread when COL linked to it. Though the engines (and engine struts) are one of the only visible changes there were a lot of internal changes too.

Oh so you're philefstat! Nice to see you again after so much time (first and last time I met you was at the 2015 Spring FG Festival to ask you about this plane. Thanks for the original work, it is something I've never had the opportunity to thank you enough.

themadgreek wrote:Almost all of the current liveries on the KC-137R, still include the double-lined "face" I did which stems from here: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/64/KC-135_100th_Air_Refueling_Wing.jpg unless you re-did that yourselves (?), in which case I am mistaken.

Yeah that part is truly awesome, thanks for it.

themadgreek wrote:Also, interestingly, you forked my repo but then copied it into a new repo with a new init commit, thereby eliminating the commits from my repo :? which I don't 100% understand but whatever. https://github.com/JMaverick16/KC

Because my version included the KC-137R and -RT only. And there were too many bugs it0uchpods wasn't able to fix so we started from a "clean" 707 repo. Are there any significant part we can take to improve what's already there?

themadgreek wrote:Anyways, as I said you have no obligation to give me, or firefly, or the other people that helped on the improvements from that time any credit, just like I could copy the current repo, remove your names (and commits) and put mine on the splash screen and submit it to the fgaddon (which I'm not going to do, just making a point). This is one of the great parts of open source!

Well I was intending to create a text file to include all the contributors to this project some time in the future so I think I'll do it as soon as possible.
About splash screens, I intended to add more info (so also LoC and other) but then I though it as better to make some simple, well made ones.

themadgreek wrote:Though you have no obligation, it would be nice. And yes while there is no need to credit LoC (see above) I wouldn't assume everyone automatically knows where the model came from, especially new members of the community. One benefit of giving credit, is specifically that the new members will have a change to discover that hangar and the really nice other models they make. This is a very small "price" to pay for the years those original developers put into it.

Things will change a bit then... ;)

themadgreek wrote:Keep up the great work, I look forward to all the improvements you guys will make in the future. Please don't take my comments as criticism, I am really happy that this project is moving forward as I have a great deal of love for that plane. Maybe in the future if I have some time (unlikely :cry: ) I will contribute to it again.

Thanks for the kind words, I'd be nice to have you in the current devel team since it's thanks to you that all of this started.
Kind regards, Mav
Breakin' the sound barrier every day!

Scenery designer, basic livery maker, aircraft developer (current project: F-16).
Using Thrustmaster FCS Flight Pack.
Follow me also on Instagram & Twitter @j_maverick16, Google+ and YouTube.

Octal450

Postby Octal450 » Tue Nov 29, 2016 3:12 am

+1

I wouldn't know about the textures, that was all JMAV. I can't do textures, I try but I die! (Except glass cockpit screens I can do if they are not complex, and simple analog ones as well) I mostly work in System/Autoflight/Cockpit

No idea what https://github.com/JMaverick16/KC is.
All I know is Initial Commit on https://github.com/JMaverick16/KC-137R was me taking the 707, and manually reworking is to KC-137R. The first commit had barely any changes from the base 707.

Josh

J Maverick 16

Postby J Maverick 16 » Tue Nov 29, 2016 2:07 pm

it0uchpods wrote:No idea what https://github.com/JMaverick16/KC is.

That was a fork of the original KC-137R which I've done for pushing some liveries and sending a pull request.
But it's only a tiny part of the original work I've done.
The rest is all stored in a zip file of a USB pen drive I've got.
Regards, Mav

Scenery designer, basic livery maker, aircraft developer (current project: F-16).

themadgreek

Postby themadgreek » Tue Nov 29, 2016 3:41 pm

cool, thanks for your comments and for clarifying.

like I said I don't have much time to develop but let me know if you guys need help with any textures, or especially liveries. I can do liveries fairly quickly.

J Maverick 16

Postby J Maverick 16 » Tue Nov 29, 2016 3:53 pm

themadgreek wrote:like I said I don't have much time to develop but let me know if you guys need help with any textures, or especially liveries. I can do liveries fairly quickly.

Well, I've been working on instruments since the beginning of the project, but help is welcomed. ;)
Regards, Mav

Octal450

Postby Octal450 » Tue Nov 29, 2016 5:38 pm

+1

J Maverick 16

Postby J Maverick 16 » Sun Dec 04, 2016 12:06 pm

#BecauseThrustMatters: engine comparison of the different models on the KC-137Rs (including former ones):

From left to right: Pratt & Whitney JT4, IAE V2500, CFM 56 and CFM LEAP.

One thing I cannot understand is why the engines FDM of the 707 are Rolls Royce Conways and the 3D is PW JT4...
Regards, Mav

Octal450

Postby Octal450 » Sun Dec 04, 2016 1:38 pm

1 FDM, 2 engine files

Return to “Aircraft Development”