GPL privileges

Everything in connection with developing aircraft for FlightGear
Octal450

GPL privileges

Postby Octal450 » Tue Jan 05, 2016 2:32 am

If I wanted to change my MD-88 to the GPL licence, how would I go about doing that?
This aircraft is built of off the MD-82 by Andino, which is also under CCC, which is buid from the MD-81 from Gary Neely (Buckaroo). So who would I ask for GPL?

IAHM-COL

Re: GPL privileges

Postby IAHM-COL » Tue Jan 05, 2016 2:38 am

you can not.
It is illegal for you to do so. (unless Buckaroo himself accepts re-releasing his own plane as GPL)

There is something in these licenses called Copy-Left.
The deal is as follow. You can modify and build upon work of others, but you are bound to respect the license. In these particular cases, GPL and Creative Commons have the very important feature of Copy Left. That is, you can not alter/ modify/ replace the license you inherit from previous work.

So, Buckaroo made the plane (first author) and released as Creative Commons. Andino took it from Buckaroo, and added his changes, but was bound to respect the license, Creative Commons. He can't legally change that. You take the MD82 from Andino, and modify it to be an MD88, but you are bound to respect the license and maintain the copy left. There's no way for you to legally change that. In no direction at all: Not to make it more restrictive (like in restrict redistribution). Not to make it less restrictive (as in opening to GPL).

Copyleft is there to warrant the authors that their intentions related to license will not change. More specifically, to prevent 3rd parties to make propietary software out of free software.

So you have 2 options: 1) live with the license Buckaroo have chosen. Or 2) make the plane again from scratch and freely choose a license.
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/IAHM-COL/gpg-pubkey/master/pubkey.asc

R.M.S.
If we gave everybody in the World free software today, but we failed to teach them about the four freedoms, five years from now, would they still have it?

Octal450

Postby Octal450 » Tue Jan 05, 2016 4:46 am

So even if I ask Buckaroo, and HE agrees to change it, I'm stuck with CCC?

Didn't read the red text -_-
It is illegal for you to do so. (unless Buckaroo himself accepts re-releasing his own plane as GPL)

I will ask him and see what he thinks. Will I then need to base my plane off of Buckaroos GPL model?

IAHM-COL

Postby IAHM-COL » Tue Jan 05, 2016 5:36 am

it0uchpods wrote:I will ask him and see what he thinks. Will I then need to base my plane off of Buckaroos GPL model?

I don't know if this make sense. Prob. it does. This is how it goes.

If you begin modifying any source (plane/scenery/any other software) that is GPL. Your result will be copy lefted, in that your new modified version will need to be GPL.
If you begin modifying any source (plane.scenery/any other software) that is Creative Commons Share Alike, then your new modified version will need to be the same Creative Commons version the original material has

Those are "copy left" (or SA, or Share Alike in the CC lingo)

If you begin modifying a CC-0 (zero for no restrictions, as in not required Share Alike) you can license the modified material at your best convenience, including but not limited to GPL.
If you begin modifying a Creative Common ND (ND for Non derivative) then you Cannot share the modified versions. Doing so goes against the ND (non derivative) License.

I hope it clarifies.

(and, yes, in general, this applies to any sort of modification -- small or large. A single file change, or sometimes even just using a library within a large software. In general no exception to the rule of copy left is granted).

If the original author (in this case, particular, Buckaroo and his MD82) agrees to re-release the MD82 as GPL, then you would technically modify the newly license MD82 (not the old CC) and then your material will inherit the new license. That's how it would go -- in pure technicality. In practice, it just means that Buck agreed to let you change the license of your version to GPL. Only he can do that step. (or every author in shared authorships)

R.M.S.
If we gave everybody in the World free software today, but we failed to teach them about the four freedoms, five years from now, would they still have it?

Octal450

Postby Octal450 » Tue Jan 05, 2016 3:48 pm

This seems more confusing than it needs to be, but I understand. I will ask him later today. If he agrees, I will rebuild my MD-88 out of the re-released MD-81 GPL.

Octal450

Postby Octal450 » Tue Jan 05, 2016 9:34 pm

Wait a moment, the 717 on FGMEMBERS is also CCC, and it is not in the nonGPL FGMEMBERS. If you read the README.md file, it says that he adapted it form Buckaroo's (Gary Neely's) MD-81, and it clearly states that is it under CCC as well. I am now confused.

legoboyvdlp

Postby legoboyvdlp » Tue Jan 05, 2016 9:41 pm

Boeing 717-200 for FlightGear Flight Simulator
By Skyop and Gary Neely, licensed under the GNU GPL2
==================================================

Installation:

1. Move this entire folder (717) to $FG_ROOT/Aircraft

2. Launch FlightGear and fly at your pleasure

==================================================

Legal stuff/Thanks:

Special thanks to Gary Neely, developer of the MD-81, for allowing me to adapt his MD-81 model, use the mesh of his 3d cockpit, and release everything under the GPL2.
THE MD-81 IS UNDER A CREATIVE COMMONS LICENSE, AND IS NOT COMPATIBLE WITH THE GNU GPL. IF YOU ARE ADAPTING ANY PART OF THIS MODEL, WE REQUEST THAT YOU ASK GARY NEELY FOR PERMISSION.
Special thanks to Thomas Ito-Haigh (better known as Armchair Ace) for creating the splash screen.

The entire text of this aircraft's license can be found in LICENSE.txt.
~~Legoboyvdlp~~
Maiquetia / Venezuela Custom Scenery
Hallo! Ich bin Jonathan.
Hey!
Avatar created by InSapphoWeTrust CC BY-SA 2.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.p ... d=27409879

IAHM-COL

Postby IAHM-COL » Tue Jan 05, 2016 9:57 pm

^
||

As he said

The B712 has been GPL since inception.

R.M.S.

Octal450

Postby Octal450 » Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:51 pm

Oh I'm stupid.
I should have read everything carefully. Maybe I can ask him for the same permission. -_-

N3266G

Postby N3266G » Thu Jan 14, 2016 3:56 am

So dose this mean that the MD-90 will be Creative Commons to?
Image Image

Return to “Aircraft Development”