Fun in small packages

Everything in connection with developing aircraft for FlightGear
LesterBoffo

Fun in small packages

Postby LesterBoffo » Tue Dec 01, 2015 6:15 pm

I got into aircraft simulation through making RC models for simulators, the bug hit me over the weekend to see if I could make a 'smallish' RC helicopter with a YASim flight model. Borrowing from Helijah's Alouette 3, I've scaled up an old simple model of a T-Rex model heli. It's now 2 meters in rotor diameter and powered by a tiny turbine engine of roughly 19 shaft horsepower and 22 pound AUW with 5 pounds of Jet-A on board.

Very tricky to fly, I'd rate it among the most challenging of FG helicopters. Not sure when I'll release it, as I'm still working on some animation features.

LesterBoffo

Re: Fun in small packages

Postby LesterBoffo » Mon Dec 14, 2015 9:53 pm

Just a note, the original artist for the model, PlasticBonzai, a 3D modeller from Japan, isn't available anymore through normal channels, which sort of borks up releasing this as GPLv2, which is what I really wanted to do with it.

The problem is PB released dozens and dozens of simple 3d aircraft and other models through Flying Model Simulator, the R/C model sim with his material released with the base 3D code in .mqo, which in Mr. Mitzo's case, (the maker of MetasequoiaLE1.2) was pretty much anything developed through MetaLE1.2. He suggested that any Meta made object be kept freeware, and freely available, and the art open to changes and revisions as other users see fit.

It was an old clause/use EULA that approached GPL, but without any mention of commercial use. I'm guessing that the common sense approach was that the models have little commercial value because of their simple structure and low resolution texturing.

But I'm loathe to breach any legal snags that might come from it being a GPL, old Freeware hybrid.

IAHM-COL

Postby IAHM-COL » Mon Dec 14, 2015 10:03 pm

Dammit :S

By the way... is it getting more handeable? Or is it still a sensitive helix with a trend to flip out?
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/IAHM-COL/gpg-pubkey/master/pubkey.asc

R.M.S.
If we gave everybody in the World free software today, but we failed to teach them about the four freedoms, five years from now, would they still have it?

LesterBoffo

Postby LesterBoffo » Mon Dec 14, 2015 10:25 pm

Well It's really small and that equals really touchy despite reducing the control inputs. I don't want to tame it any more because it will take longer to respond when you do need to correct it severely. For most novice FG Heli pilots it's going to be a handful, no matter what I do. I'd recommend either a good no slop twisty joystick or one of the basic USB port corded Remote/Control transmitters for RC sims. The tail rotor is highly sensitive so it doesn't fly well on mouse alone.

Return to “Aircraft Development”