Beagle Pup Development [crossposted]

Everything in connection with developing aircraft for FlightGear
sanhozay

Re: Beagle Pup Development [crossposted]

Postby sanhozay » Fri Apr 01, 2016 3:44 pm

I suspect your second call is fast because the FUSE filesystem is doing some caching on your local machine but a local cache that's normally used by Terrasync becomes a remote cache when using Terrafs. I'll mention it on the mailing list and see if it's of any interest to TorstenD.

You'll may find things like Locations - Select Airports is slow, especially the Search and <100nm buttons. The <100nm search comes back in tenths of a second with local Terrasync.

What's the map like? Does it take a long time to show navaids and airports?

IAHM-COL

Postby IAHM-COL » Fri Apr 01, 2016 3:49 pm

map is maybe a little slow to show. MAYBE. It is not sensibly slow, so it just gives you a fraction of the second of a finch as sometimes do. In general you can say the map works fine.

I mostly agree with your assesment

I feel that the first find airports call it needs to fetch content to the FUSE file system. And it hangs while the data is being transferred. Once the data is there is fast cause it does not re-fetch, but uses the local data --just as a terrasync would do.
Terrasync downloads all this data the first time it creates the navaids caches, and keeps it on your config dirs, unless you clear flightgear caches.

The fuse VFS is thou cleared every unloading. (I thought it would clear every unmounting thou, so reloading an aircraft might go faster the 2nd time around. but it does not)
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/IAHM-COL/gpg-pubkey/master/pubkey.asc

R.M.S.
If we gave everybody in the World free software today, but we failed to teach them about the four freedoms, five years from now, would they still have it?

sanhozay

Postby sanhozay » Fri Apr 08, 2016 5:39 pm

Lots of additions to the Pup this week. Useful on-screen messages for ADF, etc.. More cockpit controls and gauges, carb icing (optional), need to align gyros at start (optional), plus a few bug fixes. It's not far from being able to do a full start in the cockpit -- although most of the cockpit furniture is still missing.

IAHM-COL

Postby IAHM-COL » Fri Apr 08, 2016 7:23 pm

cool. The cron job takes data next week and I'll certainly be one happy test*pilot.

Thanks for the cool little pet G-SHOZ

I never told you I crashed 5 times taking off Milwaukee? the wind was so strong that I couldnt taxi effectively and the plane was jumping like crazy on tarmac. I had to roll on tarmac, get some speed and lift it, and then taxi literally hovering. (oops)
\\at the end I made it to Olney, as you probably saw, and it was quite a very pleasant USA tour, and I enjoy all the toys you added to the pup before the tour.
:P

R.M.S.
If we gave everybody in the World free software today, but we failed to teach them about the four freedoms, five years from now, would they still have it?

sanhozay

Postby sanhozay » Fri Apr 08, 2016 7:44 pm

It does jump around at times. Softening the damping on the gear seemed to help but it hasn't fixed it. The FDM is pretty much straight out of Aeromatic++ with some minor tweaks. The thing that worries me is that hvengel had this on his P51D Mustang and, despite his attention to detail, he never figured it out.

@JWocky - have you had problems with JSBSim doing weird things on the ground? Jumping to one side on start? Bouncing? PInging up into the air? Taxiing like it's on a pile of rocks?

sanhozay

Postby sanhozay » Sat Nov 12, 2016 1:44 pm

I've fixed the autostart failure when using weather scenarios, i.e. not live weather. Pushed to FGADDON as v0.22.1.

IAHM-COL

Postby IAHM-COL » Sat Nov 12, 2016 4:52 pm

sanhozay wrote:I've fixed the autostart failure when using weather scenarios, i.e. not live weather. Pushed to FGADDON as v0.22.1.

thanks for the note
I updated the FGMEMBERS' branch to facilitate all others here that use the craft as the guinea pig of lightweight aircrafts' FDM to have it up2date

https://github.com/FGMEMBERS/Beagle-Pup/commits/master

R.M.S.

sanhozay

Postby sanhozay » Tue Nov 15, 2016 12:44 pm

I've pushed a couple of changes to FGADDON:

1. Following Jabberwocky's advice, I adjusted the CoG in my Aeromatic++ FDM and the weird ground reactions seem to have stopped. (No doubt they will start again now that I have written this). It didn't need much.

2. Added tachometer to show RPM. Slightly different in the 100 and 150/160.

The tachometer works in the FGADDON model. FDM addons that change the 3D model files may or may not take advantage of such improvements.

IAHM-COL

Postby IAHM-COL » Tue Nov 15, 2016 2:00 pm

Can you check why the ceiling comes transparent in parts when looked from cabin? It looks like a moon roof...

R.M.S.

sanhozay

Postby sanhozay » Tue Nov 15, 2016 2:45 pm

I think that's just Bomber's -set.xml file and viewpoint position? If so, it's only for testing.

Return to “Aircraft Development”